Pressure Canning

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
UeNSaVOr

Pressure Canning

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Is anyone doing canning or pressure canning? If so, where do you get your supplies? I'm searching online, but not coming up with much beyond imported Ball jars. I've tried a variety of words in Japanese, but may not be doing the right thing.

Thank you!

Chuck2

Pressure Canning

Post by Chuck2 »

A few years ago, when my mom was here visiting, she did some canning for us. We bought canning jars and lids at NAFCO home center. I'm sure they still sell them these days. The lids were I piece lids not like the 2 piece lids she used back home but they kept their seals fine? What are you canning? I should be canning peaches but just can't find the time to do it though I have millions of peaches.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

UeNSaVOr

Pressure Canning

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Thanks! I'm mostly planning for the future right now. My mom's mom canned a lot, but I don't remember much about it.

Depending upon how jalapenos go this year, I might try to do waterbath canning on a single jar just to see if I can.

Tora

Pressure Canning

Post by Tora »

I googled “ 瓶詰め用の瓶 “ and got lots of hits on new jars an lids. Canning is “binzume” “瓶詰め” in Japanese I think.

I’m gonna follow up on Chunck’s Nafco suggestion next time I’m near one. I saw some online listings at Komeri just now too.might be some in stores too.

I can with reused jars and lids. I used to buy new ball/mason jar lids when I visited family but haven’t been back in a while so all reuse now. To remove lingering smells or flavors, throw lids in boiling water and remove when water is cooled.

UeNSaVOr

Pressure Canning

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Thanks! Yeah, I was doing binzume and 圧鍋瓶詰め。I've found a variety of jars (not all of which I'm sure are OK for canning), but nothing for pressure canning. プレッシャー鍋瓶詰め showed some imports, but I wasn't seeing anything domestic. Thanks for the tips on smells/flavors!

EDIT: Lehman's from Ohio USA will ship canning stuff to Japan.

UeNSaVOr

Pressure Canning

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Chuck2 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:58 pm
A few years ago, when my mom was here visiting, she did some canning for us. We bought canning jars and lids at NAFCO home center. I'm sure they still sell them these days. The lids were I piece lids not like the 2 piece lids she used back home but they kept their seals fine? What are you canning? I should be canning peaches but just can't find the time to do it though I have millions of peaches.
The one near kuki, saitama doesn't have anything (at the moment at least). I bought some other useful stuff, but I'll save anyone else a trip to that one.

UeNSaVOr

Pressure Canning

Post by UeNSaVOr »

Joyful Honda in Mizuho in Western Tokyo has a couple of things related to canning. No wide-mouth lids with rings, but they do have lids. Only a handful of jars that would be safe for pressure canning.

Eric in Japan

Pressure Canning

Post by Eric in Japan »

I can a lot of blueberry jam in waterbath canning in my pressure cooker. I usually use the jars with the white lids you can find at any homecenter. So far so good...
"... so, the cucumbers said to the cabbage, `Lettuce Go.`"

UeNSaVOr

Pressure Canning

Post by UeNSaVOr »

That's good to hear. Thanks for the info!