Green energy suppliers and home solar/battery setups

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

For a little while now we have been thinking about switching our electricity supplier to a greener company or someone that is a bit more flexible than Tepco recently there seems to have been some consolidation amongst the energy suppliers with Shizen Denki and GREENa no longer serving household customers but Octopus has recently arrived from the UK and taken over some of these ventures. Octopus seems committed to supplying enviromentally friendly energy and have done quite well in the UK so hopefully they can do the same here.

Energy Shift compares green options from different electricity suppliers, although some of the information there is already out of date but still may provide a useful guide.

Hummingbird Power is a bit of an odd one in that they not only supply green electricity to consumers they also have plans to lease solar panels, home batteries and V2H solutions if you'd like to install one of those but don't want to stump up the initial costs upfront. You sign a lease and pay a monthly fee and at the end of it the equipment is yours, in the meantime you can use all of the electricity it produces and/ or stores. Given how volatile the electricity market seems to be at the moment installing solar panels and a battery or V2H setup could be a viable option depending on how long the volatility is expected to last. Hummingbird's lease option are here

EneTown don't supply electricity but they do sell all sorts of home battery and V2H options at cheaper prices than seem to be available elsewhere, although that may change as more companies get into the market and also offer discounts to attract customers.

Eco Hatsu offer a range of quote for solar and battery installations as well as having a range of informative articles and subjects related to solar and battery installations.

If anyone else has any companies they know of please do add them.

czaujapman

Post by czaujapman »

Great topic!
Is this price for real? :lol: https://www.enetown.jp/goods/SmartStar3/
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

czaujapman wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:56 pm
Great topic!
Is this price for real? :lol: https://www.enetown.jp/goods/SmartStar3/
Sadly yes and I don't mean in a good way. A similar spec battery in the UK would cost around 470,247JPY :cry:

OnionChutney

Post by OnionChutney »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:53 am

Hummingbird Power is a bit of an odd one in that they not only supply green electricity to consumers they also have plans to lease solar panels, home batteries and V2H solutions if you'd like to install one of those but don't want to stump up the initial costs upfront. You sign a lease and pay a monthly fee and at the end of it the equipment is yours, in the meantime you can use all of the electricity it produces and/ or stores. Given how volatile the electricity market seems to be at the moment installing solar panels and a battery or V2H setup could be a viable option depending on how long the volatility is expected to last. Hummingbird's lease option are here
I'm VERY interested in this solar panel leasing option.
For those who have purchased solar panels, how does this monthly leasing cost (7000円 ~ ) compare?
Bought the house, now it's time to renovate!

czaujapman

Post by czaujapman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:34 am
Sadly yes and I don't mean in a good way. A similar spec battery in the UK would cost around 470,247JPY :cry:
Yeah even the Tesla Powerwall is 1/2 or less. Japan seems to be on a back-foot a bit when it comes to energy storage.
Our friend electrician here was telling me few months ago, how cost of old hybrid cars went up as people started re-purposing those for energy storage. I didn't get the reason why - now I do.
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

OnionChutney wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 am
I'm VERY interested in this solar panel leasing option.
For those who have purchased solar panels, how does this monthly leasing cost (7000円 ~ ) compare?
A lot would depend on how much electricity you use each day, what time of day is your highest usage (ie during daylight hours or at night) and what rate your Feed In Tariff (FIT) would be. For the 10 years our FIT lasted we earned on average 9,000円 a month so if you can get something similar then that 7,000円 a month would be covered by what you export.

If your main usage time is in the evening and night and your average monthly bill is around 14,000円 or over then you might be worth going for the solar/home battery option and storing the power generated during the day to use at night.
czaujapman wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:34 am
Yeah even the Tesla Powerwall is 1/2 or less. Japan seems to be on a back-foot a bit when it comes to energy storage.
Sorry I made a mistake in my original reply to you and put the price for batteries in GBP rather than JPY. You could buy 6 equivalent sized batteries in the UK for the price of that one you linked to.

It's not so much on the back foot as trying to desperately discourage anyone interested in the concept with sky high prices. Once again a fine example of Japan screwing over the domestic market whilst selling the same things abroad for a fraction of the price. Perhaps now that Octopus energy is getting going again they will start to offer the Powervault home batteries here in Japan which are far more competitively priced. In the meantime a Tesla Powerwall would seem to be the obvious choice to go for.
czaujapman wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:34 am
Our friend electrician here was telling me few months ago, how cost of old hybrid cars went up as people started re-purposing those for energy storage. I didn't get the reason why - now I do.
The original Prius model had a tiny 1.3kwh NiCad battery which won't give you much usable power at all, in comparison our Nissan Leaf has a 40kwh battery that can run your house for several days in an emergency newer Prius's can now have up to an 8kwh battery that is Lithium ion which is a lot better but then you've got an old car taking up space outside and you still have to jury rig something to get that power inside your house and construct a gateway to isolate you from the grid in case of an outage so you don't pump power out into the grid cables and electrocute anyone working to fix the power lines after a typhoon. Yes it's doable but way beyond my meagre skills.

Here's another company that fit various batteries, V2H set ups and solar arrays Goda Co. It looks like they will sort out any subsidies available and can arrange loans in certain cases.

czaujapman

Post by czaujapman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:01 pm
It's not so much on the back foot as trying to desperately discourage anyone interested in the concept with sky high prices. Once again a fine example of Japan screwing over the domestic market whilst selling the same things abroad for a fraction of the price.
That's exactly what my (Japanese) wife said!! :shock:

This company seems to do Tesla Powerwalls. And yes the price seems to be similar to anywhere else in the world if not a bit cheaper. https://sustainable-switch.jp/teslapowerwall3-210814/

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

czaujapman wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:01 pm
That's exactly what my (Japanese) wife said!! :shock:

This company seems to do Tesla Powerwalls. And yes the price seems to be similar to anywhere else in the world if not a bit cheaper. https://sustainable-switch.jp/teslapowerwall3-210814/
Sadly it's an all to common event, a product sold abroad for one price has that price inflated several times when sold domestically. I bought a 7 piece combo set of Makita power tools in the UK for the same price as two of the very same tools here in Japan and there are countless other examples.

My guess would be Tesla is quite happy with the markup they make on their batteries globally and sees no need to fleece Japanese consumers. The sad thing is most domestic consumers would probably still go with a domestic supplier because that is the way. It looks like Powerwalls aren't eligible for subsidies but even without them are still the cheapest option.

There is a Power Comparison Site that has a lot of interesting articles on different aspects of home solar and pros and cons of different power companies and their price plans.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Here's an interesting electricity plan from Tepco for anyone in their area.

Aqua Energy

It's an all hydro power plan so no CO2 production or other pollutants from your electricity supply and as an added benefit there is no fuel cost adjustment which is affecting the prices of gas and oil generation and pushing up bills. A win for the environment and a win for your pocket at the same time :dance:

OnionChutney

Post by OnionChutney »

Does anyone run their house entirely on solar?
Does the battery store enough to give you the power needed for the winter months?

We're looking at installing 20 panels on our house in Fukuoka. With little to no snow each year, and fairly sunny winter days, I'm wondering whether we need to be hooked up to the grid at all.
Bought the house, now it's time to renovate!