Roofing

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Inakappe

Roofing

Post by Inakappe »

Hey y'all,
We're coming up to the time where we have to redo the tiles on our roof.
We have traditional kawara 瓦 tiles but are thinking of changing to lighter more modern tiles because of the price and because of how heavy the kawara tiles are should there be an earthquake or something.
Ideally would like to put in solar but probably out of our price range. I heard they have solar tiles you can use now but haven't come across them in Japan yet.
Anyway, does anyone have any experience/advice in what kind of tiles to get and pros/cons of kawara tiles over the modern ones.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Roofing

Post by gonbechan »

Best to talk to a proper daiku san about the roof options because older houses are built to have a heavier roof. changing that to something lighter might need some kind of structural change. Thats what we were told when we had typhoon damage.

Also, just en queso..
https://standard-project.net/solar/home/aesthetic.html
https://www.kaneka-solar.jp/products/visola.html
https://taiyoseikatsu.com/faq/faq069.html

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Roofing

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nice find on the solar tiles, can we add them to the Green Energy & Solar/Battery thread ?

Would be useful for any later enquiries.

Chuck2

Roofing

Post by Chuck2 »

Inakappe wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:07 pm
Hey y'all,
We're coming up to the time where we have to redo the tiles on our roof.
We have traditional kawara 瓦 tiles but are thinking of changing to lighter more modern tiles because of the price and because of how heavy the kawara tiles are should there be an earthquake or something.
Ideally would like to put in solar but probably out of our price range. I heard they have solar tiles you can use now but haven't come across them in Japan yet.
Anyway, does anyone have any experience/advice in what kind of tiles to get and pros/cons of kawara tiles over the modern ones.
Have you gotten any estimates for kawara or other types of roofing already?

We re-roofed some of our home with kawara a few years ago and have another roof that needs to be re-roofed.

We looked at some of the options other than kawara but the estimates that we got were not much of a price difference than kawara. And these other options in my opinion were inferior to kawara.

Here's my opinion about the pros and cons of kawara.

Pros
Looks the best, Longest lasting, best suited for Japan's weather

Cons
Maintenance, our roofer guy said that kawara can shift over time even without earthquakes and would be best to have a roofer do a quick check every few years. Probably most people don't do this. Earthquakes are probably kawaras worst friend but do talk about this to who ever you get an estimate from. The kawara and the way they lay kawara have improved and is less likely to be damaged than the older style. Might be good to look into your insurance policy and see how kawara is covered by earthquakes and typhoons.

As for other options, there are so many but just to name a few like metal sheeting, asphalt and some kind of synthetic product.

Pros
Probably all these are lighter than kawara but does this matter? Japanese homes are built strong and are designed to support this weight. Price they could be cheaper. Probably all more flexible than kawara and so better to hold up during an earthquake.

Cons
I would think that all of these would probably deterioate quicker than kawara. If you're changing a kawara to another style of roofing your したぎ (the roof under the kawara) will probably also have to be modified, price up.

I like the idea of solar but just couldn't afford it. Hopefully in the near future prices will come down. The way utility prices are moving it might be more economical quite soon. Thinking about if you do have roofers up and they are putting up scaffolding, it is a good time to do solar though.

What ever you do I highly recommend getting a few quotes from different companies and even from different towns. We found estimates to vary a lot in price. I would also talk to them about what kind of prices to expect if there is damage to the したぎ which might be hard to see now.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

OnionChutney

Roofing

Post by OnionChutney »

We have just been quoted a price to change our lovely old blue tiles for a modern update.
Here's an album with photos of the old roof, the plan for the new roof, quote for the new roof, and leasing plan for solar panels:

https://ibb.co/album/8MBc9k

The new roof is guaranteed for 30 years, and will work with the solar panels.
We're also hoping to save on the cost of scaffolding, as the the builders can use the solar companies scaffolding.
Bought the house, now it's time to renovate!

Inakappe

Roofing

Post by Inakappe »

Hey guys,
Thank you for the replies - I tried to reply earlier but have had trouble logging in these last few weeks. All better now, fingers crossed!
I haven't had any quotes or anything yet as this project is still a few years away. We had a bit of damage (probably from a typhoon) last year and the roofer said to start saving because the tiles would need replacing in about 5 years.
So I jumped on here to see if anybody had ideas. Next step will be to get some quotes.
Thanks again.

Inakappe

Roofing

Post by Inakappe »

OnionChutney wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:10 pm
We have just been quoted a price to change our lovely old blue tiles for a modern update.
Here's an album with photos of the old roof, the plan for the new roof, quote for the new roof, and leasing plan for solar panels:

https://ibb.co/album/8MBc9k

The new roof is guaranteed for 30 years, and will work with the solar panels.
We're also hoping to save on the cost of scaffolding, as the the builders can use the solar companies scaffolding.
Thanks for this. Very interesting to see. Could you give a quick explanation to what all this means please?
I'm a bit green when it comes to solar panels :shifty:

So you pay 7629yen a month for the panels? Is that forever? Or until you've paid 915,410yen?
Then how do the %s work for energy consumed and sold?
And the 1,835,000yen is for the rest of the roof (tiles etc)?
and finally,
Does this include work within the house to connect the solar panels up to the power source etc?

Thanks!

OnionChutney

Roofing

Post by OnionChutney »

I'm still quite new myself. I've received the contract and I'm in the process of translating it all, to make sure I'm not about to make a huge mistake!

It's 7,619yen per month for 10 years (so, until the 915,410 is paid). After that, I'll have paid it off and they're mine to keep.

The % consumed and sold is based off how much I use. They calculated that we'll probably be able to sell, on average, over 70% of the energy we generate. So we will receive receive about 55,000yen a year for that.

The installation is free, including hooking it up to the house.

The 1,835,000 is for the new roof (tiles and labor).

Chuck2

Roofing

Post by Chuck2 »

OnionChutney wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:44 pm
I'm still quite new myself. I've received the contract and I'm in the process of translating it all, to make sure I'm not about to make a huge mistake!

It's 7,619yen per month for 10 years (so, until the 915,410 is paid). After that, I'll have paid it off and they're mine to keep.

The % consumed and sold is based off how much I use. They calculated that we'll probably be able to sell, on average, over 70% of the energy we generate. So we will receive receive about 55,000yen a year for that.

Do you know what price the electric company will buy your solar power for? Is it a set price or variable price for the 10yrs? And after the 10yrs, will the price drop significantly?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

OnionChutney

Roofing

Post by OnionChutney »

Chuck2 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am
OnionChutney wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:44 pm

Do you know what price the electric company will buy your solar power for? Is it a set price or variable price for the 10yrs? And after the 10yrs, will the price drop significantly?
Sorry for such a delayed reply: we were moving into the house and still working on the renovations.

Initial buy-back rate is locked-in at 16yen per kWh.
After ten years, it drops considerably, but I can't remember to what right now.