Kiwi sleeper town vege grower with two cats

Please introduce yourself
BoggyBoy

Post by BoggyBoy »

Hi all, I’m another kiwi from NZ. I’ve been in Japan about 12 years - it’s crazy how time flies by, isn’t it?
I don’t strictly live in the country side, instead I live in sleeper town in Saitama - 40 minutes from Tokyo.
About 10 years ago we bought a house with a good sized section - very nice. I grow verges and fruit trees - rather than having a lawn.

I also rent some neighborhood land for more gardening. It pretty big - more then enough for the two of us.

My next project is I’m looking at putting up a shed for for my motorbikes. I think I’ll be posting a few questions about that here.

That’s enough for know. I’m looking forward to meeting you all.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Boggyboy

And welcome to the forum, we really do appreciate you signing up and hope you soon feel at home here.

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet setup there, have you started planting for spring and summer yet ? Or waiting a little longer for the weather to warm up some more ? That reminds me, I must get the seeding/sowing thread going for this year.

What sort of shed are you looking to put up ? Kit build or something completely from scratch ? I built my own packing workshop from mostly 4x4's and 2x4's and although it's fairly basic it does the job.

BoggyBoy

Post by BoggyBoy »

Hello Zasso Nouakchott,
Thanks for the welcome.
I should have already started my seeds indoors by now - but life seems to get in the way.
The only plants I have in at the moment are asparagus (which should producing edible shoots this year), and garlic.
But I think I should be okay if I start soon.

The seed sowing thread sounds interesting.

I’m an expert at growing weeds! I never keep on to them enough during the growing season. They mostly bet me last year.

My shed will be a kitset one, probably Takubo. I need to have it on blocks, so not permanent, and that it can support large bikes on the floor. Plus it gets rather windy here, so safer overall to buy and assemble.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I also often find myself planting seeds far later than I meant to, there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done it seems at times but like you the weeds at our place always seem to do spectacularly well.

If you avoid a concrete base for your shed then you might not have to pay land tax on it.

czaujapman

Post by czaujapman »

Welcome mate!
I am hoping to get myself 2nd hand Africa Twin this year. Maybe we can catch up one day! :)
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna