Hello from Taura, yokosuka-shi

Please introduce yourself
KanagawaPunk

Post by KanagawaPunk »

I moved down to the miura peninsula earlier this year to a small (and absolutely gorgeous ) valley town down by yokosuka. i just started growing some potatoes and plum trees, we are right next to ume no sato so there are 10000plus fruiting plum trees in our neighborhood.

anyway, all the nature and gardening success really made me want to pursue my long dormant dream of running a small farm.

id love to find a way to maybe raise goats on some of these beautiful mountains dotted with abandoned or soon to be abandoned farms, but id settle for just raising vegetables, i know how hard it is to become a farmer here.

if any body has any tips or guides to getting into farm life, especially in miura id love to hear it.

mudo

Post by mudo »

Wow, that's at least two of us on the Miura Peninsula! We're on the other side of the peninsula, over by Sagami Bay.

Would love to hear more about your place and what you're up to! Did you buy? Renting? We rent currently but are looking to buy something perhaps next year.

KanagawaPunk

Post by KanagawaPunk »

Just renting, with hinted offers of being able to buy if we stay long enough, the rent is cheap enough and the owner hands off enough that I don't really care either way. The location is great, surrounded by beautiful mountains and right by the biggest plum grove in kanagawa.

We got the place in the winter when everything was dead and I still thought it was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen, now that everything bloomed and now turning green it's otherworldly.

Don't think I'll ever willingly leave my little valley, I'd love to get one of those mountain top farm houses and grow veggies, or ideally raise goats.

mudo

Post by mudo »

That sounds amazing!

We moved to Yokosuka from Kansai in Aug 2021, so a little less than 2 years ago. We're also really happy in the area and very unlikely to move off the peninsula if we can find the right place to buy!

Would love to swing by and say hello, or meet up at a café or somewhere if you don't want some random 50yo Canadian showing up to say hi.

KanagawaPunk

Post by KanagawaPunk »

Haha, if I'd found this place sooner I'd have invited you to my bbq last Saturday.

I highly recommend checking out taura, especially if you want a deep inaka feeling while still being in a direct line to Tokyo, yokosuka, and Yokohama. Lots of available land and property comes up every year because of how old the population is. Very sad, but it's a good opportunity and everyone who is still around have been so friendly.

Amazing place if you want to grow citrus too, the soil is perfect PH and there's so much pollen that ume and orange trees grow like weeds.

mudo

Post by mudo »

That really does sound amazing, and very much like something along the lines of where we want to end up living too. You might end up with a gaijin neighbor one of these days...

Tried to PM you but seems I don't have permissions. Will ask the admin if that can be fixed.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to the forum @KanagawaPunk and thank you for taking the time to sign up. We really do appreciate that.
KanagawaPunk wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:10 pm
Don't think I'll ever willingly leave my little valley, I'd love to get one of those mountain top farm houses and grow veggies, or ideally raise goats.
Sounds like you have found your ideal place to spend the rest of your life, it's a pretty special feeling when you find a location like that. It doesn't happen often but when it does you just know that's the place you are meant to be.

As for getting into farming there are different routes that work for different people, you just need to see what works for you and in your location. You can concentrate on producing one or two main crops and pump them out during their season, something like @DocDoesFarming does or you can go down the route of providing a wide range of crops growing small batches of each type. Or you could do something completely different like producing artisanal cheeses from your herd of goats.

You might have heard it's difficult to become a registered farmer in Japan but that really depends on your area. Some places are almost impossible to get registered and others will welcome you with open arms and do everything they can to facilitate your registration or you can farm without ever being registered. Really everything depends on your area.
mudo wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:15 pm
Tried to PM you but seems I don't have permissions. Will ask the admin if that can be fixed.
Either you or the recipient hasn't made enough posts to move out of the "Newly registered Members" group and into the "Registered Members" group. Try sending me a private message to see if it's you or the recipient.

mudo

Post by mudo »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:08 pm
Either you or the recipient hasn't made enough posts to move out of the "Newly registered Members" group and into the "Registered Members" group. Try sending me a private message to see if it's you or the recipient.
Seems to be working now! Not sure if I reached the permissions limit or if you fixed things behind the scenes. Thanks of the reply, and thanks for the fix if that's what happened!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

mudo wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:54 am

Seems to be working now! Not sure if I reached the permissions limit or if you fixed things behind the scenes. Thanks of the reply, and thanks for the fix if that's what happened!
I had a look at your permissions and they seemed slightly off so set them to what most everyone else has. Not quite sure what was going on there and you were just below the number of posts to make you a normal registered member so maybe something to do with that. If there is anyone else that can't use the messaging system but should be able to (10 ~ 15) posts please let me know and I'll have a butchers.