Michael in Niigata

Please introduce yourself
michael1126

Michael in Niigata

Post by michael1126 »

Hi everyone,

I just moved my family from a small town in Niigata prefecture to an even smaller town in Niigata prefecture. We were living in a crowded neighborhood in Kashiwazaki and not really enjoying the lifestyle. Not enough land on our property to do anything.

We found a farmhouse in Myoko on 15,000 tsubo of land. Some hatake, tanbo, and forrest land. We've started seeds for the veggie and herb gardens, we have some fertilized eggs in the incubator, and will be milling lumber on our land. Our kids are enjoying nature and everything is going well so far. I think the inaka life is for us/

Thank you guys for creating this forum and posting lots of good content. I've gotten some great information here already and looking forward to being part of the group.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Michael in Niigata

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum, we really appreciate you taking the time to sign up and join our little community.

Sounds like you guys have fully embraced inaka life. That's quite a large plot of land you have there. What are you going to use the lumber for ?

Did you encounter any difficulties purchasing agricultural land or was that made easier for you ? I find it quite interesting how some communities absolutely resist new people buying farmland and others will do everything they can to make it happen and welcome a new family into their community.

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking, how did you find us ?

michael1126

Michael in Niigata

Post by michael1126 »

Hi Nouka san,

Thank you very much for making this forum and for having me on.

Yeah we got really lucky finding a place with this much land. I will be doing a number of things with the lumber. I am a carpenter but I also make furniture so I will be making lots of slabs for tables. Also the barn needs new siding so I will take some sugi from the property to make new siding. The bandsaw mill I got is on a trailer so I also plan to do mobile milling as a side business.

I did encounter some issues with the tanbo land. I was able to put the forrest and hatake land in my name with out any problems. I have a contract with the original owner to hold the tanbo land for one year in his while I go through the nogyo process. Hopefully that goes well but I haven't started that process yet.

I think I found this group when I was searching for information about how to register the trailer for my mill.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Michael in Niigata

Post by Zasso Nouka »

It certainly is a lot of land but sounds like you'll be putting the forest to good use and hopefully the tanbo issue can be resolved easily enough. Some places make it easy and some places make it hard, there seems no rhyme or reason to the approach different localities take.

That's a pretty interesting line of work you have and what an opportunity to use the lumber from your own property to make things, a really unique selling point I imagine.
michael1126 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:38 am
so I will be making lots of slabs for tables.
I'm not a carpenter but we were lucky enough to buy a big slab for a table when the house builder was buying the wood for our house, he took us to the wood wholesaler, and we made a large dining table. It's a simple design but was fun to make.
michael1126 wrote:
I think I found this group when I was searching for information about how to register the trailer for my mill.
Thank you, it's nice to know we do sometimes show up in Google searches.

Once again welcome to the forum and glad to have you as part of our little community.

Savot

Michael in Niigata

Post by Savot »

Welcome to the forum from a fellow NIigatan!

Like you, we've got a bit of forest land around our property. I was thinking of making a table from local sugi using a chainsaw mill like this. Your mobile mill might be a better option though (not least because it would substantially reduce the risk of me losing an arm). Would love to hear more once it's up and running!

Otona Cream Pie

Michael in Niigata

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

michael1126 wrote:
The bandsaw mill I got is on a trailer so I also plan to do mobile milling as a side business.
Niiiiiice! If I ever get my place together, You sooo have a customer up north in Shibata :lol:

Welcome to the board!

michael1126

Michael in Niigata

Post by michael1126 »

Thanks very much!! Still need to get a vehicle big enough to pull this thing!

Otona Cream Pie

Michael in Niigata

michael1126 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:46 pm
Thanks very much!! Still need to get a vehicle big enough to pull this thing!
That's not a problem ;)

michael1126

Michael in Niigata

Post by michael1126 »

Hello and thank you!

Nice, where at in Niigata? Its hard to fund property with a decent amount of land in Japan so I feel pretty lucky.

I would go with this one:

This one is pretty good for making slabs. The mill you linked is more for making boards.

I'll be sure to post some updates once I get it going.

Take care

Otona Cream Pie

Michael in Niigata

I live in Saitama but my land is way over there in Shibata near here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8279677,139.4285024,16z