fujisan in Yamanashi.

Please introduce yourself
fujisan

fujisan in Yamanashi.

Post by fujisan »

Hello there,

I'm a permanent resident with a farming family (Japanese in-laws) .

Some decent but not extensive experience growing veggies in wide beds with hand tillage (only when necessary).

I'm teaching part-time and having a go at rice farming and real kitchen gardening for the next couple of years at least.

I speak pretty good Japanese but that doesn't guarantee access to local knowledge, or help with bureaucracy.

Which is why I've come to visit.

Maybe in a few years time I'll be the wisest of wisards, but for now I'm green as grass.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

fujisan in Yamanashi.

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hi Fujisan and welcome to Japan Simple Life.

Thank you for taking the time to sign up and join our little community, we really do appreciate that.

What do you have growing in your kitchen garden at the moment ? No till or at least low till does seem to be a good way to grow veggies, we've certainly found it a lot less work since we stopped using our tractor. The biggest surprise was how much less fertiliser we are now using yet producing the same if not more crops.

Anyway, thanks once again for signing up and hope you find something interesting here.

fujisan

fujisan in Yamanashi.

Post by fujisan »

@Zasso Nouka

I've already found some things useful :) . Discussions around agricultural/forestry land and JA membership for example.

I've got a plot full of potatoes and onions at the moment. Zucchini transplants just went out and tomatoes and cucumbers will join them soon.

I've missed the boat on carrots by the look of things, but I'm gonna test out a few heat tolerant greens and edamame varieties too.

Any recommendations?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

fujisan in Yamanashi.

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hiyuna (Amaranth) is a good leafy green (or red) for the summer, use it the same way you would spinach and it's also good in salad if you pick the leaves very young. If the summer is very wet then it can pick up leaf mold so now is a good time to seed.

Ensai is another heat tolerant summer vegetable, either the normal type or salad types for smaller leaves and thinner stems. Great in stir fries with some chicken, cashew nuts, nam pla and/or oyster sauce. Ensai can get a bit out of hand so just plant a small patch, unless you like eating it a lot or have south east Asian neighbours.

Tsurumurasaki, I'm not keen on this one but some people like it.

Kinjiso/Kintokiso/Handama. My personal favourite summer leafy vegetable. Order a bunch of stems online, as seeds are near impossible to find and root them into pots when they arrive with a bag over the top of the pots then plant outside when ready. Great in salad, chopped up and mixed with your natto or made into ohitashi. The first heavy frost you get will kill the top growth after that heavily mulch it with straw or momigara to get the roots through the winter and it will pop back up next spring.

Not strictly a leafy veg but if you don't have it already Kairan is a good one to grow over the summer

I'm going to copy and paste this into the sowing thread, lazy I know but no need to do the same thing twice.