Ticks on pets

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

For people with animals in the country, how do you deal with ticks (madani マダニ)and other pests that get on pets? I’m thinking specifically of cats and dogs or maybe chickens but any other animal experience would be welcome.

There were ticks where I lived in the USA but not this many and they didn’t have deadly diseases that I know of. I know we used flea and tick collars or liquid applied to the back of their neck periodically. It caused severe reactions in some animals. I don’t really know what options are available here in Japan.

Chuck2

Ticks on pets

Post by Chuck2 »

Tora wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:04 pm
For people with animals in the country, how do you deal with ticks (madani マダニ)and other pests that get on pets? I’m thinking specifically of cats and dogs or maybe chickens but any other animal experience would be welcome.

There were ticks where I lived in the USA but not this many and they didn’t have deadly diseases that I know of. I know we used flea and tick collars or liquid applied to the back of their neck periodically. It caused severe reactions in some animals. I don’t really know what options are available here in Japan.
We got a dog last year. And she has ticks on here a lot. We give her a tick medicine pill once a month, called ネクスガード. This medication doesn't prevent ticks from being on her but if she gets bitten by one the tick will die within a few hours. And supposedly won't be affected by the dieses that the ticks carry. This medication is also a witches brew of 5 different dieses to prevent. We had been using a different medicine but it looked like chalk and our dog just wouldn't eat it, can't remember the name of it though. She doesn't seem to have any side effects from it.

One important thing is to brush your pet a lot. I find most of the ticks on our dog that way.

I know what you mean about there being so many ticks here. We start finding them on our dog at the beginning of March, there is like no grass even growing then but there out.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Chuck2 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:30 am

We got a dog last year. And she has ticks on here a lot. We give her a tick medicine pill once a month, called ネクスガード. This medication doesn't prevent ticks from being on her but if she gets bitten by one the tick will die within a few hours. And supposedly won't be affected by the dieses that the ticks carry. This medication is also a witches brew of 5 different dieses to prevent. We had been using a different medicine but it looked like chalk and our dog just wouldn't eat it, can't remember the name of it though. She doesn't seem to have any side effects from it.

One important thing is to brush your pet a lot. I find most of the ticks on our dog that way.

I know what you mean about there being so many ticks here. We start finding them on our dog at the beginning of March, there is like no grass even growing then but there out.
Thank you. The ticks seem to be present year round on the boats I’ve taken. There seem to be many more on males than females.

I have been contemplating an outdoor cat.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I can only comment on cats as we don't have a dog. The best tick prevention we found are the cat collars from Cattyman. We used to use the drops applied to the back on the neck and although it kills ticks after they bite sometimes the cats would come into the house with a tick stuck on them. Since switching to the collars we never see a tick on them, as Cat-chan is white is easy to spot them. However don't know what the active ingredient is, probably something horrific but it does work. Several collars for cats claim to quick release if they get caught but when we tried only the Cattyman one would release quickly so we stopped using the others as both our cats spend a lot of time outside.

Fipronil is good at killing fleas and ticks but it doesn't deter them. Selamectin is better and will treat a whole range of internal parasites as well, details here Zoetis Japan but not many vets stock it, you could probably ask them to order it. Selamectin won't deter ticks but by golly it will kill them.

Otona Cream Pie

Ticks on pets

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Nexgard should do the trick but I always brush/towel down my pups in the mountains as ticks can get in their hair and the last thing you want is them delivering ticks to your bed.

DocDoesFarming

Ticks on pets

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I just pick them off of my pets and eat them for sustenance.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Otona Cream Pie

Ticks on pets

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:14 pm

DocDoesFarming

Ticks on pets

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:14 pm
Funnily enough this is what I do with my wife. When she's asleep.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:36 pm
We used (emphasised that is the past tense) to have some friends that did that with their child when visiting our house. She plucked a couple of ticks off the little blighter and dropped them on the floor. Next few times they came to visit we remained steadfastly outside the house with them the whole time and didn't invite them inside and the one time we went to a BBQ over at their place came back covered in all sorts of bites. It's great living in harmony with nature but one can take things too far.

DocDoesFarming

Ticks on pets

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:36 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:36 pm
We used (emphasised that is the past tense) to have some friends that did that with their child when visiting our house. She plucked a couple of ticks off the little blighter and dropped them on the floor. Next few times they came to visit we remained steadfastly outside the house with them the whole time and didn't invite them inside and the one time we went to a BBQ over at their place came back covered in all sorts of bites. It's great living in harmony with nature but one can take things too far.
For real? Were they living outside or something?