A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:19 pm
For real? Were they living outside or something?
Absolutely for real man. They were extreme organic type folks and had a lot of cats and dogs and long grass around the house which made ideal conditions for ticks and fleas. You've seen our place and it's not the tidiest of farms but if you eliminate living spaces close to the house and treat your pets when the weather is warm that cuts down the numbers of parasites to almost zero.

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:36 am
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:36 pm
Funnily enough this is what I do with my wife. When she's asleep.
We used (emphasised that is the past tense) to have some friends that did that with their child when visiting our house. She plucked a couple of ticks off the little blighter and dropped them on the floor. Next few times they came to visit we remained steadfastly outside the house with them the whole time and didn't invite them inside and the one time we went to a BBQ over at their place came back covered in all sorts of bites. It's great living in harmony with nature but one can take things too far.
You know humanity is in trouble when you feel the need to put up “No Grooming” signs :lol:

I’m sure anthropologists and sociologists would be quite interested if humanity completed the circle and returned to a primate lifestyle.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:35 pm
You know humanity is in trouble when you feel the need to put up “No Grooming” signs :lol:

I’m sure anthropologists and sociologists would be quite interested if humanity completed the circle and returned to a primate lifestyle.
Man, I'm all for living in harmony with my local environment and causing the least damage to the local biome possible but at the same time trying not to be like a medieval peasant and enjoy some of the benefits of modern living.

We can all laugh about it but the sad thing is their son got ostracised at school when one of the teachers found a massive tick on him and actually screamed out loud in the class. Seems like some of the other parents weren't too comfortable with that level of coexistence.

Not trying to put anyone's environmental choices down here but can't say am too happy being on some creature's meal plan :naughty:

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:53 pm

Man, I'm all for living in harmony with my local environment and causing the least damage to the local biome possible but at the same time trying not to be like a medieval peasant and enjoy some of the benefits of modern living.

We can all laugh about it but the sad thing is their son got ostracised at school when one of the teachers found a massive tick on him and actually screamed out loud in the class. Seems like some of the other parents weren't too comfortable with that level of coexistence.

Not trying to put anyone's environmental choices down here but can't say am too happy being on some creature's meal plan :naughty:
That’s harsh but that teacher sure lacked tact.

That story reminded me of the time my friend got a call from the school about how his kid smelled after a family of skunks moved into the crawl space under his house! It seems the smell was wafting up through the floor boards. His only recourse was to trap and shoot the poor things and then drag them out as far as possible from the house to bury them. Anyone who has smelled a skunk will know that ranks up there as a fate worse than death.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:33 pm
That’s harsh but that teacher sure lacked tact.

That story reminded me of the time my friend got a call from the school about how his kid smelled after a family of skunks moved into the crawl space under his house! It seems the smell was wafting up through the floor boards. His only recourse was to trap and shoot the poor things and then drag them out as far as possible from the house to bury them. Anyone who has smelled a skunk will know that ranks up there as a fate worse than death.
Luckily we don't have skunks in the UK, although I've heard some folk keep them as pets but that seems about as sensible as collecting old second world war hand grenades or unexploded bombs :doh:

I feel sorry for your friend, I guess they didn't notice the smell if it built up slowly.

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:50 am

Luckily we don't have skunks in the UK, although I've heard some folk keep them as pets but that seems about as sensible as collecting old second world war hand grenades or unexploded bombs :doh:

I feel sorry for your friend, I guess they didn't notice the smell if it built up slowly.
I’ve heard of skunks as pets. My wife thinks she wants one :roll: You can have the scent glands removed. I’m sure they are more effective at protecting your home that the fiercest of guard dogs.

My friend knew the skunks were there but was hoping they’d move out on their own which didn’t really happen.

And for today’s trivia:
Skunk scent glands can be sold for use in what well known product?

DocDoesFarming

Ticks on pets

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Trump Cologne
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:18 pm
I’ve heard of skunks as pets. My wife thinks she wants one :roll: You can have the scent glands removed. I’m sure they are more effective at protecting your home that the fiercest of guard dogs.
They look kind of cute I guess and hopefully they don't spray their owners very often but all the same not sure I'd risk it.
Tora wrote:
My friend knew the skunks were there but was hoping they’d move out on their own which didn’t really happen.
Your friend's heart was obviously in the right place, shame it all went horribly wrong for the skunks
Tora wrote:
And for today’s trivia:
Skunk scent glands can be sold for use in what well known product?
Not a clue, without Googling please do enlighten us. Perhaps in the same vein did you know that originally artificial vanilla essence was made from the anal glands of beavers :shock:

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

@DocDoesFarming was close.

Some Perfume and probably cologne includes a little bit of (hopefully washed!) skunk funk. I think it keeps the perfume from easily being washed away when you sweat. There was still a market for skunk scent glands last time I was home visiting. That should tell you how country I am….

Beaver bums smell like vanilla?! I knew that the only way to tell male and female beavers apart was smelling their tails. I now want to know if the artificial vanilla flavor came from the males ore females. Actually, after reflecting on all the cheap vanilla ice cream and baked products I’ve eaten, I really don’t wanna know any more about which rodent’s arse it came from!🤮

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:47 pm
Some Perfume and probably cologne includes a little bit of (hopefully washed!) skunk funk. I think it keeps the perfume from easily being washed away when you sweat. There was still a market for skunk scent glands last time I was home visiting. That should tell you how country I am….
Ewww, that's gross. Don't they use whale vomit for something similar ?
Tora wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:47 pm
Beaver bums smell like vanilla?!
And apparently also taste similar to vanilla 🤮. You gotta wonder how someone first discovered that :shock: