Ticks on pets

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:45 am
Ewww, that's gross. Don't they use whale vomit for something similar ?
I cannot remember the name but I saw or read somewhere that it is possibly the sperm whale (?) version of a hardball but made up of all the beaks of all the squid they eat. Apparently it is a beach combers’ ultimate treasure worth quite a large of money if it’s high quality.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:45 am
And apparently also taste similar to vanilla 🤮. You gotta wonder how someone first discovered that :shock:

Probably a lonely mountain man trapper back in the day who got real hard up and ….

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:17 pm
I cannot remember the name but I saw or read somewhere that it is possibly the sperm whale (?) version of a hardball but made up of all the beaks of all the squid they eat. Apparently it is a beach combers’ ultimate treasure worth quite a large of money if it’s high quality.
My father in law who is keen on sea fishing now regularly takes a stroll along the beach after fishing in the hope of finding some ambergris since we told him how much it is worth. Maybe one day he will strike it rich :clap:
Tora wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:17 pm
Probably a lonely mountain man trapper back in the day who got real hard up and ….
That would have to be some serious hardship to make beaver butts look attractive :lol:

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:07 am

My father in law who is keen on sea fishing now regularly takes a stroll along the beach after fishing in the hope of finding some ambergris since we told him how much it is worth. Maybe one day he will strike it rich :clap:
I remembered the name first thing this morning!

The Wikipedia write up on that was both enlightening and disgusting. Apparently the ambergris can come out either end of the whale and it smells like ethanol without the sharp alcohol punch- now I know why it was so popular. Well worth a read.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:07 am
That would have to be some serious hardship to make beaver butts look attractive :lol:
Well, they say the mermaid legend likely started with a manatee sighting by a ship full of lonely, unbathed guys who’d probably been drinking beer and rum the whole trip across the Atlantic….

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Ticks on pets

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:08 am
I remembered the name first thing this morning!

The Wikipedia write up on that was both enlightening and disgusting. Apparently the ambergris can come out either end of the whale and it smells like ethanol without the sharp alcohol punch- now I know why it was so popular. Well worth a read.
I've read new stories of people being paid life changing amounts of money for finding Ambergris, perhaps it's worth it for you to keep an eye out when surfing :pray:

Tora wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:08 am
Well, they say the mermaid legend likely started with a manatee sighting by a ship full of lonely, unbathed guys who’d probably been drinking beer and rum the whole trip across the Atlantic….
Manatees are kind of cute and all but I'm not sure in even my most paralytic state I'd personally find them alluring :lol: . Likely standards of beauty were a lot lower back in the day :roll:

Tora

Ticks on pets

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:35 am
I've read new stories of people being paid life changing amounts of money for finding Ambergris, perhaps it's worth it for you to keep an eye out when surfing :pray:
I watched a tv program about a person who found something like that. On further inspection it turned out to be melted plastic.

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:35 am
Manatees are kind of cute and all but I'm not sure in even my most paralytic state I'd personally find them alluring :lol: . Likely standards of beauty were a lot lower back in the day :roll:
I suspect the level of drunkenness had as much to do with those standards of beauty as the levels of health and hygiene…. Apparently beer and other alcoholic drinks were the safest drink available to many people for hundreds of years.