Scaffolding

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Savot

Scaffolding

Post by Savot »

Hi all,

Does anyone has any experience building or using a scaffold? I'd like to build my own (it seems Komeri has all the parts) but am not sure if I've got the design right.

Does the design below seem like it would work? I'm mostly interested in whether it's safe (e.g., the angle of the outriggers), but I'd welcome comments on whether it's overengineered as well (e.g., the number of cross braces)!

scaffold.png
scaffold.png (32.38 KiB) Viewed 254 times

DocDoesFarming

Scaffolding

Post by DocDoesFarming »

For that height I would do 1.8m x 1.8m myself, also for added safety you should probably tether the top to whatever it's next to (i'm guessing a building or whatever??).
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Savot

Scaffolding

Post by Savot »

Thanks Doc. Based on yours and others' advice I've tweaked the design. It will also be flush with a balcony on the side of my house so I'll be tethering it to that at several points.

scaffold.png
scaffold.png (31.04 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Tora

Scaffolding

Post by Tora »

It seems like it should work. The scaffolding I’ve used has always had the bracing at the back, away from the work area. Depending on what you’re doing, that might not be a problem.

The diagonal bracing does not need to be as strong as vertical and horizontal members so smaller diameter (cheaper) pipe should be fine. Personally I might also be inclined to use wood if it was for my personal use and was a big price difference but I don’t value my life as much as I probably should and would never suggest that to other people for obvious legal safety reasons.

Having a design that prevents accidental falls or things falling on someone who might be below is also important. Those were always the scaffolding accidents I heard about.

Stay safe unless you have someone taking video for Internet critique.

Savot

Scaffolding

Post by Savot »

Thanks Tora. The tip about smaller diameter poles being OK for diagonal bracing is helpful! I think I’ll stick with metal though given this is the first scaffold I’ve built. That said, bamboo scaffolding does look pretty badass.
2D4BB86C-8D9D-4379-B1DE-D4E7FC4886E7.jpeg
2D4BB86C-8D9D-4379-B1DE-D4E7FC4886E7.jpeg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 210 times