Miyazaki Life

Please introduce yourself
Nomad Mo

Miyazaki Life

Post by Nomad Mo »

Hi everyone! I have to start off thanking you all for the great info. I've been lurking here since 2019 or so, back when I became obsessed with permaculture and organic farming. I've since moved with my family to Kyushu and bought a 5 acre citrus farm in Nichinan.

Am now following in the footsteps of Masanobu Fukuoka.. by slowly killing all my trees haha. Learning a lot through my many failures. Trying to find ways to work with nature instead of fighting it. But.. mostly fighting it still. The good news is, I'm making a lot of space for diversity.

I've been using jadam and korean natural farming to make inputs. Microbial/fungal sprays cultured from leaf mold, and pesticides made with homemade soap and boiled herbs. The soil is slowly coming back to life. But finding the time to spray enough has been a challenge. Pretty busy between the orchard, a one acre market garden, huge greenhouses filled with dekopon, and a new child. Also being assaulted by ungodly weeds, vines that engulf everything, and typhoons that like destroying all my hard work.

But, I wouldn't change it for the world. So thankful to have found a meaningful life here in Japan. And hoping to spread the joy of farming and prove that self sufficiency isn't just a pipe dream. I'll get there eventually.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Miyazaki Life

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to sign up, we really do appreciate that.

Sounds like you are starting an interesting adventure. Quite a challenge taking on such a large plot but at the same time gives you a lot of space to do what you want. I didn't know Dekapon were grown inside greenhouses, do love them to eat though.

Organic farming in lowland areas of Japan can be difficult in the initial learning phase but it is doable as you learn what works in your context and what doesn't. Brace yourself for failures but the flip side will be the rewards you get when things do work out. We've had more than our fair share of disasters and still get them but each one is a learning experience.

Best of luck and look forward to chatting on the forum.

Nomad Mo

Miyazaki Life

Post by Nomad Mo »

Thanks! The previous owner was running a heater in the greenhouses so he could harvest the dekopon early and sell them at a markup as new years gifts. But I don't want to buy or burn that much gas. Thinking about setting up an electric fence and filling the houses up with layers. Maybe focus on that while figuring out seeding/propagating/grafting trees to fill out the orchard.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Miyazaki Life

Post by gonbechan »

Hi and welcome.
As always looking forward to learning about new member's adventures, and it seems you have a great one on the go.

Have you considered heating the greenhouses with compost?

There are many how to vids out there, and I am sure you probably already considered it.. here's my favorite

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Miyazaki Life

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We have friends that grow sweet peppers in heated greenhouses and their winter heating bills are phenomenal. It's a wonder they can make a profit during that time.

Logman

Miyazaki Life

Post by Logman »

Does your name start with J, end in N and do you live in Nichnan? If so, small world.