Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Tactics & ideas for dealing with extreme weather

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:58 pm
tataminodani wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:58 am
Re drip pipes: my main problem is low pressure on the water. Unless I am mistaken drip pipes need a bit of pressure don't they?
As for water pressure maybe @DocDoesFarming uses just a header tank with his drip lines or maybe he uses a separate pump ? We actually have to reduce the pressure from our wells because it will blow the joins out if we don't so we have a pressure reducing valve for each section
I believe you need a tank about 2 meters or so high for a good amount of pressure. I'm not using a pump but just gravity, even I have issues with the joints separating from the pressure sometimes.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

Hmm. :think:

2m head can roughly be achieved with a 1m tank that's up 1m off the ground right? Depending on the distance to the actual pipes ofc which would reduce the effective head slightly if far away.

Asking because I don't think I have seen any decent sized 2m tall tanks (not including like a full on home water tank). Only a 250l vertical one springs to mind. Most of the others are usually ~1m high. Or I need to get out more to some better home centers.

I will see if I can work something out. Maybe I could put some tanks up the hill a bit in the forest beside the fields. Pump it up there manually occasionally and then let it run down.

I shall report back at any rate once I give a few ideas a go.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

tataminodani wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:24 am
Hmm. :think:

2m head can roughly be achieved with a 1m tank that's up 1m off the ground right? Depending on the distance to the actual pipes ofc which would reduce the effective head slightly if far away.

Asking because I don't think I have seen any decent sized 2m tall tanks (not including like a full on home water tank). Only a 250l vertical one springs to mind. Most of the others are usually ~1m high. Or I need to get out more to some better home centers.

I will see if I can work something out. Maybe I could put some tanks up the hill a bit in the forest beside the fields. Pump it up there manually occasionally and then let it run down.

I shall report back at any rate once I give a few ideas a go.
Sorry, apparently I can't type properly late at night.
You need the tank about 2 meters off the the ground for a good amount of water pressure. I'll try and take some pictures later.
The only issue I have (because my field is slanted) is having enough pressure to fill all the drip pipes with water before the joints burst, otherwise the lower 2/3 only get a good watering but you can individually stop certain pipes getting fed if you have tiny valves for the pipes themselves.

If you want to avoid using a pump to fill up the tanks you could build some sort of flat roof with a gutter near the tank that drains directly into the tank, but you would need to make sure the tank has a filter on top to stop bits accumulating inside and clogging the drip feeds.
Obviously you are at the mercy of the weather there.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I will also keep an eye on the joints if I run long lines.

The fields are all ~25m long x ~40m wide, tiered with about a 1m drop on each one heading south away from the house which is 2-3m higher than the first field. I am going to be running the veggie beds and grain and tree rows N-S, so if I had a tank in each field, each pipe would be 25m long max off a 40m wide max distribution.

I intend to build a greenhouse/shed at some point which will give me rain collection in the top field, but that's not a near term plan. I have a couple of different pumps laying around so one of them should be able to fill a tank if I dig out a collection sump, line it with something and filter the incoming water a bit.

If only I could just a run a pipe from the house, there is a good 2+m drop and rain collection from a large roof there. :crying-yellow: .

If my subsurface wicking works that would be perfect, as it won't need any pressure. But life, money, nature and physics have a habit of getting in the way of fanciful, great-but-only-in-theory ideas. :lol: So I will most likely need some pressure for more conventional irrigation.

I will see what I can come up with any rate. I won't have anything to report until next summer at the earliest. Probably the year after though, as I suspect year 1 will be mostly getting bugs out so I can do a fair comparison of a few ideas, combined with trying to weather the mega el-nino before it cools a bit in 2025.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Next year I'm going to just hook the hose up to the drip feeds as I have literally no time pissing about filling the tanks up and waiting for them to heat the water a bit before feeding the plants.
Cold water is better than no water as far as I'm concerned.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I think this is one of the major benefits of having a community of folk trying out different ideas like this. We can see folk trying different ideas and how they actually work in reality rather than having to do endless experiments ourselves.

@DocDoesFarming are you going to run poly pipe from well to where the drip line is or run rigid pvc pipes?

We ran pvc pipes from our hatake well around to several strategic spots on the farm and vinyl houses.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:31 am
I think this is one of the major benefits of having a community of folk trying out different ideas like this. We can see folk trying different ideas and how they actually work in reality rather than having to do endless experiments ourselves.

@DocDoesFarming are you going to run poly pipe from well to where the drip line is or run rigid pvc pipes?

We ran pvc pipes from our hatake well around to several strategic spots on the farm and vinyl houses.
I'll probably just have the pvc pipe at the bottom where it is at the moment and have a regular hose connected from the tap up top.
Need find a way of keeping the pipe in place so I don't have to dismantle every time I need to tractor the field.
Storing drip feed is a fucking pain in the arse if it's super long I've just discovered. Can't really roll it up or fold it loads in case you create creases and weaken it.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:35 pm
I'll probably just have the pvc pipe at the bottom where it is at the moment and have a regular hose connected from the tap up top.
Need find a way of keeping the pipe in place so I don't have to dismantle every time I need to tractor the field.
No Till man, no till :lol: . But seriously having the hose up top so you can disconnect it when you need it sounds like it will give you a good deal of flexibility. We were lucky to be able to run the rigid pvc pipes either alongside or under our pathways when laying out our beds so we ran 25mm internal diameter pvc pipe all over to the places it was needed. If you need to make really big pipe manifolds put one of those compression straight joins in where you need to break it up.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:35 pm
Storing drip feed is a fucking pain in the arse if it's super long I've just discovered. Can't really roll it up or fold it loads in case you create creases and weaken it.
We store ours streched out in the vinyl houses tied up to the frames with a string every 4th or 5th frame pipe. Then cut them loose in the spring and drag them out to where they are needed.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:31 am
Absolutely. I am already changing my ideas about what to do thanks to all the good advice.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:59 pm
No Till man, no till
This is my plan at least. I will have a lot of trees, bushes and perennial veggies though (with some annuals mixed in) so I can't really till anyway once things are planted.

I was originally going to sub irrigate the veggie part of the plot, but I am rethinking that because I might put some dwarf fruit trees in there too. I don't want tree roots finding a buried drip tape :doh: .

It might be fine just under the mulch though if I make sure to clean any curious roots off it every spring. :think:

Thanks for the photos Doc! That captures it perfectly. I will see if I can replicate something similar.

I also found out when meeting with the real estate agent last weekend that there is a bunch of attached forest that the owner might just give me if I want it. The woods have a good hill behind them so I might be able to put in a catchment dam on the border and use that for irrigation in the future.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well, I am certainly interested to see what sort of setup you go for and how it works out in practice. Always fascinating to see the different ideas folk come up with and how that might be applied in my situation.