Tactics & ideas for dealing with extreme weather

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

I just found this: https://odakame.com/2010/04seihinjouhou ... hin01.html

Purpose made clay pipe irrigation.

Now I think I will skip the trees in a couple of the veggie beds and run a pipe or two down under them. See how many different irrigation systems I can try.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Nice find, if you have static beds and are doing no till then they could be a good solution. Certainly way better than using above ground sprinklers where most of the water evapourates and is wasted.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

I came across this: https://www.permaculturenews.org/2014/0 ... n-systems/

I think the author of the book I mentioned earlier wrote it because it has all the same thing as the book and some of the same photos, so you can save the $ and get an overview of the different methods.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Some great ideas for trees, shrubs and vines there although I do feel they are over egging the pudding on the drawbacks of drip tubing. Filters are cheap and easy to fit and service and I've never had our tubing eaten by animals or vandalised.

For shallow rooted stuff like salad and quick crops, buried drip lines (the type with inline emitters) will probably still have an important role to play and they can be easily moved as you rotate crops to different areas.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

I think their man issue was that all of their work was in really remote places and mostly with trees and bushes for restoration rather than growing food commercially.

So you are looking at somewhere dozens of kms off grid to cart water and equipment out to and have 0 pressure and need to conserve every drop. Drip is definitely magnitudes better than overhead sprinklers or flood irrigation, but it's still less efficient than an olla or deep pipe squeezed up against the roots of a plant - in water use only. In cost, time and effort though drip wins out, especially if you have pressure available from mains, water towers or pumps.

Animals chewing your pipes to get to the water would undoubtably be a much more common issue in the middle of a desert or savanna where there is no easy water for several days travel (other than in said pipes) compared to Japan where you practically trip over rivers and creeks everywhere once you get outside the city.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I see what you mean, in those kinds of situations their requirements are quite different from what I would experience on my farm where it seems humongous inconvenient to load up the lorry tank and drive it a couple of hundred metres to one of our fields that can't be connected to the well.

I think if we plant more fruit trees in the future that would definitely be a really good idea to incorporate. I liked the sealed capsules you showed made by glueing a clay pot and saucer together and the deep pipe idea seems particularly well suited to establishing new trees.

Let's hope global warming doesn't end up with us facing the same kinds of conditions they have to deal with.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:36 pm
Let's hope global warming doesn't end up with us facing the same kinds of conditions they have to deal with.
The "joke" in some climate circles is that "Sure 2023 will be the hottest year in the last 100k years. But look on the bright side, it will be the coolest year for the next 100k years. " :(

Pretty sure chances are higher we will need better water management, both for lack of it and moments of excess, than things will get more stable and beneficial with less need.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

God, that is a very grim joke indeed. This year has been absolutely terrible, we still don't have salad for sale and normally we'd be selling salad packs at the end of September. We just couldn't get the lettuce seeds to germinate in the heat.

There have been some pluses for sure, no direct typhoon strikes and we're still harvesting various zucchini, okra and nasu but would really like to be selling salad as that's our main income.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:19 pm
God, that is a very grim joke indeed. This year has been absolutely terrible, we still don't have salad for sale and normally we'd be selling salad packs at the end of September. We just couldn't get the lettuce seeds to germinate in the heat.

There have been some pluses for sure, no direct typhoon strikes and we're still harvesting various zucchini, okra and nasu but would really like to be selling salad as that's our main income.
I think some things will have to be grown underground with artificial light if things get worse.
I was just reading today that billions.. (yes billions) of snow crabs disappeared.. Here just read it yourself

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:36 pm
I was just reading today that billions.. (yes billions) of snow crabs disappeared.. Here just read it yourself
Good grief, what are we supposed to eat at New year ? :eek: This is a disaster of epic proportions :crying-yellow: