Fall Gardening

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Logman

Fall Gardening

Post by Logman »

I have ripped out most of our summer crops. I cut back the eggplants last month and they are flowering again. Hoping for some akinasu. Have some green peppers going strong and have newer plants in that should fruit in October. Some cucumbers still fruiting and have a few more ready to go in soon. Now I'm focused on the fall/winter crops.

Direct sowing: spinach, komatsuna, takana, mizuna, shingiku, konegi.

Seed starting trays: cabbage (red and green), hakusai, brocoli, cauliflower, lettuce (3 types), negi.

I usually have 200 lettuce growing at any one time between September and June. The chickens get 3-4 a day.

I have 750 onions in 128 cell trays. This is my first time doing onions from seed.

I simply cannot get carrots to grow in the summer months. Tried many things. Recently I had them covered with 4m lengths of siding. I removed it when I saw the new shoots and they were dead by end of day. Frazzled by the sun. This week I mixed compost with vermiculite and perlite and filled 12 big pots. Sowed carrot seeds and then covered with chopped rice straw. I put them on the north side of the high tunnel o they aren't getting direct sunlight until about 3pm. I'm hoping this cheap them moist.

I'll be succession planting most crops. For example I'll do 25 brocoli each month. Our hatake sustains 8 people (my family, mother/father in law, sister in law's family) - we all live next to each other.

I'd love to hear what others are doing. :)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We're seeding most of tthe same things as you but also doing daikon for making takuan and kiriboshi daikon and pondering whether to go for an autumn/winter crop of spuds, they do sell well in winter.

I've never had any luck growing carrots in summer over here, they really don't like the humidity. Ours have just started sprouting.

Have you considered using coco fibre in place of perlite or vermiculite ? Although both are good a stopping compaction and retaining water they are dead space for roots as roots don't easily penetrate them and they don't break down in soil easily but when vermiculite does it adds minerals, although I've heard but don't have any firm evidence that as perlite is sintered glass it can irritate some soil organisms like worms.

Logman

Fall Gardening

Post by Logman »

I'm going to put some spuds in today. Will use some leftovers from the spring harvest as seed potatoes. Will put in a hundred or so. I'm also going to do daikon, just haven't decided where yet. I might just broadcast sow in a section of our wheat field or seed in the holes of mulch sheet up the hatake as usual. :think:

I haven't seen coco fibre, although I haven't really been looking. Does it have a Japanese name or would it just be katakanarized?

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

We're pretty lazy our end, it's basically kabu, carrots and onions. Lots of them.
The onion field this year is a bit bigger so trying to aim for more than 10,000. Kabu we've decided not to sell in bulk for pickling as we don't get that much money for them for the work put in and I have to help load the truck at an inconvenient time so probably grow less than normal.
Carrots... wish i set the distance shorter for the planter because I have a feeling there ain't as much as there should be for the space available. Sowed roughly 20,000, doubt that much will actually come through though so I'll probably end up with loads of monster sized carrots. Also I have to constantly keep picking those fucking アレチウリ that pop up in the beds.
Do other people have issues with アレチウリ? It's awful stuff.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:48 pm
We're pretty lazy our end, it's basically kabu, carrots and onions. Lots of them.
The onion field this year is a bit bigger so trying to aim for more than 10,000.
God damn man, I thought we were going large with 3,000 to 5,000 and then you've raised the stakes again :lol:
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Carrots... wish i set the distance shorter for the planter because I have a feeling there ain't as much as there should be for the space available. Sowed roughly 20,000, doubt that much will actually come through though so I'll probably end up with loads of monster sized carrots.
Are you using the Sumika Pelleted Seeds ? We normally get good results with them.

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Also I have to constantly keep picking those fucking アレチウリ that pop up in the beds.
This stuff ?

Logman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:51 am
I haven't seen coco fibre, although I haven't really been looking. Does it have a Japanese name or would it just be katakanarized?
It's normally sold as ココピート (Yokohama/Coco Green seems the most common one) if you can find it in a local home centre then it works out pretty reasonable but the shipping cost on such a large pack can make it a tad expensive.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:09 pm

Are you using the Sumika Pelleted Seeds ? We normally get good results with them.
I'll take a pic of the stuff we got and post it later.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
This stuff ?

Yeah that's it, I'm going to have to use weed killer next year, there's only so much physical work I can physically do in a week. Trimming them the organic way is just futile and time consuming. Fuck this stuff.

donguri

Fall Gardening

Post by donguri »

I’m behind the game, as usual :roll: When I have time, the weather is crap, when the weather is decent I’m busy with the restaurant. So I adjust my expectations, or try to.

The plan is to get carrots, mizuna, potatoes and daikon in this week if possible. Kabu, radishes, lettuce, hakusai, Komatsuna, are all waiting to be seeded as well. Hoping to try takana for the first time and maybe give broccoli a chance again it’s not too late.

Logman

Fall Gardening

Post by Logman »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Carrots... wish i set the distance shorter for the planter because I have a feeling there ain't as much as there should be for the space available. Sowed roughly 20,000, doubt that much will actually come through though so I'll probably end up with loads of monster sized carrots. Also I have to constantly keep picking those fucking アレチウリ that pop up in the beds.
What is your watering setup for carrots? Do you use some kind of sprinkler system? I have to battle アレチウリ too, but it's manageable on my third-of-an-acre hatake.

Logman

Fall Gardening

Post by Logman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Logman wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:51 am
It's normally sold as ココピート (Yokohama/Coco Green seems the most common one) if you can find it in a local home centre then it works out pretty reasonable but the shipping cost on such a large pack can make it a tad expensive.
I'll take a look, thanks. I have seen peat moss too. Could that also be used?

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Logman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:49 pm
What is your watering setup for carrots? Do you use some kind of sprinkler system? I have to battle アレチウリ too, but it's manageable on my third-of-an-acre hatake.
No setup or anything, have to rely on nature mainly as I have no way to water them myself because of where they are.

There's just so much アレチウリ around this field I'm working on and because the field hasn't been in use for 10 years it's probably accumulated a million seeds or so, will probably take 5 years to get it to a manageable state I reckon.