Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm
I’m behind the game, as usual :roll: When I have time, the weather is crap, when the weather is decent I’m busy with the restaurant. So I adjust my expectations, or try to.
Don't worry too much, we're also really behind what is supposed to be happening.
donguri wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:38 pm
The plan is to get carrots, mizuna, potatoes and daikon in this week if possible. Kabu, radishes, lettuce, hakusai, Komatsuna, are all waiting to be seeded as well. Hoping to try takana for the first time and maybe give broccoli a chance again it’s not too late.
I think this year we should all be fine being a little behind what the normal schedule says
Logman wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:51 pm
I'll take a look, thanks. I have seen peat moss too. Could that also be used?

Personally I wouldn't use peat moss as it seems to be a non renewable resource but if that's not a concern for you then it is fairly similar in it's qualities.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:03 pm
There's just so much アレチウリ around this field I'm working on and because the field hasn't been in use for 10 years it's probably accumulated a million seeds or so, will probably take 5 years to get it to a manageable state I reckon.
If you are going no till on that land it will take a while to eliminate the seeds in the upper layer of the soil or if you are tilling the land then it might take a bit longer until you eliminate the seeds there. Whichever system you go for turn the soil over in October and all the seeds that sprout will likely die in November before they can produce new seeds, if that makes any sense. Then next year you will have less plants to deal with.

donguri

Fall Gardening

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:43 pm

Don't worry too much, we're also really behind what is supposed to be happening.

I think this year we should all be fine being a little behind what the normal schedule says
Thanks for the encouragement, Zasso!
I kinda figure it was too hot for some of the seeding, if they actually germinated they’d probably fry. The past few days have been noticeably cooler, so I may be in tune with my environment, ha!

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:14 pm
I kinda figure it was too hot for some of the seeding, if they actually germinated they’d probably fry. The past few days have been noticeably cooler, so I may be in tune with my environment, ha!
That's certainly an issue with this heat, we've had to do loads of supplementary watering on seedlings and transplants and it's a big relief to have things cooing down a bit now :dance:

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:09 pm
Are you using the Sumika Pelleted Seeds ? We normally get good results with them.

These are the seeds we are using.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We've grown those before and they were good, germination was fine and they have a nice deep colour but found the Sumika Aikou suited our situation slightly better. On the whole Tohoku Seeds are pretty reliable and we grow their daikon, nasu and onions amongst other things.

Not sure why you had patchy germination this year, maybe it's just been too hot. Carrots are fairly finicky when it comes to germination.

Your method for onion seeds works a charm, we've now got quite a few flat trays of onion seedlings dotted around and thinking about maybe starting a few more.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Glad the onion seeding worked out well for you, we did ours yesterday. I'm never going back to those little tray pots, takes too long.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Fall Gardening

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:34 pm
Glad the onion seeding worked out well for you, we did ours yesterday. I'm never going back to those little tray pots, takes too long.
It's certainly easier to keep them weed free than growing in soil, every time I walk past can pluck out any emerging weeds.

Do you trim the seedlings at all ? I think it might have been Charles Dowding that mentioned it promotes root growth if you do but haven't tried it myself.

donguri

Fall Gardening

Post by donguri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:04 pm

Your method for onion seeds works a charm, we've now got quite a few flat trays of onion seedlings dotted around and thinking about maybe starting a few more.
So I’m curious about Doc’s onion seed method… what thread should I search out?

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:28 am
So I’m curious about Doc’s onion seed method… what thread should I search out?
Sorry I don't think it's in a thread, we were chatting on Line and I was complaining about loosing so many to weeds when I sow them in the ground and he explained how he does them. Perhaps @DocDoesFarming can give a brief run down of his method, it's pretty simple.

Here is what I have at the moment, the ones I sowed this week are a bit denser.

Seems quite easy and no loss to weeds.