Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

donguri wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:28 am
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:04 pm

Your method for onion seeds works a charm, we've now got quite a few flat trays of onion seedlings dotted around and thinking about maybe starting a few more.
So I’m curious about Doc’s onion seed method… what thread should I search out?
You basically just need a tray of some sort about 5cm+ deep filled with potting soil and you lightly scatter the seeds and cover with soil again. Saves a ton of time because you just take that tray to your onion rows and replant.
Depending how much seeds you scatter in the roots might knot together but it's easy to split the onion slips apart.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:44 am
It's certainly easier to keep them weed free than growing in soil, every time I walk past can pluck out any emerging weeds.

Do you trim the seedlings at all ? I think it might have been Charles Dowding that mentioned it promotes root growth if you do but haven't tried it myself.
No i've never done that to be honest.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

donguri

Fall Gardening

Post by donguri »

Thanks, Doc!

I’ve tried direct seeding and seeding in those little sectioned trays but with very limited success. The open tray is probably easier to work with and less likely to dry out than the sections.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

donguri wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:14 pm
The open tray is probably easier to work with and less likely to dry out than the sections.
Does seem to stay moist quite well, just an occasional splash from a hose or watering can and it's job done. Perhaps because it is a larger block of compost/soil it seems to be more stable and that must be a good thing for germination.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Also good root growth from what I've seen so far, so probably no need to trim the seedlings.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

As we're talking about onions and such now it's also time to plant garlic.

You've basically got two choices soft or hard necked and both have somewhat different qualities. Soft necked garlic is more generally seen in the supermarkets and produces more somewhat smaller cloves per bulb. Hard necked garlic makes slightly larger cloves but less per bulb.

Soft necked garlic can be somewhat more pungent but a lot depends on growing conditions. Seed soft necked garlic is typically imported from China and is quite cheap but Kagoshima also produces a lot. Aomori White 6pieces (ホワイト6片) is a typical hard necked garlic and 3 ~ 4 times the price of Chinese seed garlic or 2 ~ 3 times the price of Kagoshima garlic bulbs.

If growing for personal use White 6 Pieces might be a good option as it supposed to be superior but, if truth be told once it's been cooked I can't tell the difference.

Soft necked garlic seems to produce a very similar smell and flavour and produces garlic scrapes in the spring which we like and it is considerably cheaper.

I'm not saying one is better than the other as we grow both.

Another member of the onion family worth growing is nira or Chinese chives. Essential for gyoza and a host of other dishes.

If grown from seed it will take at least two years before harvest but after that you can get between 4 ~ 8 cuts off of a bed of nira per year and maybe more. After 3 years you can dig the plants up and spread them out to increase the size of your nira bed and stop them getting over crowded. Fertiliser inspiring and autumn just before you start harvesting. Also cut any flower heads that form in the autumn while they are still small to stop a hard stalk forming in the middle and concentrate their energy on growing more leaves and building up the bulbs.

Logman

Fall Gardening

Post by Logman »

I'm trying to remember when we planted garlic last year. I was sure it was October. Do people normally plant garlic in September??

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I think it varies by region, over here in Chiba it goes on sale in September and you can plant it through September and October. Although you seem to get somewhat better results the earlier it is planted because it can mature properly before the rainy season starts.

This year we will be planting 3 or 4kg in a vinyl house so hopefully we can have it on sale before other Growers harvest their's and prices drop. The rest will be grown outdoors and stored to slowly sell through the summer.

Shizuman

Fall Gardening

Post by Shizuman »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:48 pm
Kabu we've decided not to sell in bulk for pickling as we don't get that much money for them for the work put in and I have to help load the truck at an inconvenient time so probably grow less than normal.
Hey mate

have you had any issues with wireworm in your kabu? Ive been wanting to grow a bunch but most beds I put in the skin gets totaled how do you protect the crop?
Trying again now in a different spot and so far only got the little blue caterpillars.
in the past ive tried no till but this time I caved and pulled out the machine.
cheers

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Shizuman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:21 pm
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Kabu we've decided not to sell in bulk for pickling as we don't get that much money for them for the work put in and I have to help load the truck at an inconvenient time so probably grow less than normal.
Hey mate

have you had any issues with wireworm in your kabu? Ive been wanting to grow a bunch but most beds I put in the skin gets totaled how do you protect the crop?
Trying again now in a different spot and so far only got the little blue caterpillars.
cheers
I've just noticed those little bastards on our cucumbers this year, thing is we grow so many cucumbers and turnips it's not a problem as a whole because anything damaged we either give to the chickens or gets packed up for pickling.

The only things I've noticed attack our kabu is those tiny slugs, the real tiny things.

But to answer your question, we don't do anything to protect the crops. @Zasso Nouka might have some tips. Would Spinoace work on those wireworms you know?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Fall Gardening

Post by gonbechan »

Shizuman wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:21 pm
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Hey mate

cheers
Its a bit late I think, but next rainy season.. get yourself some benificial nematodes.