Fall Gardening

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

As Gonbechan says you could try the nematodes spring, autumn and the rainy season are the best times to apply them, summer is too hot.

Biotopia doesn't seem to be available anymore, since they had the fire at the production facility but Biosafe (バイオセーフ) looks like it's still in production. However it may not work against wireworms as Steinernema carpocapsae mainly lives on the surface of the soil rather than burrowing down into it as Steinernema glaseri (スタイナーネマ グラセライ if someone is interested in doind some Google searches for a product, I couldn't find anything in a quick search) do (the species in Biotopia).

Might be worth trying a small pack and see how it works, please do let us know if you do give it a go.

Spinoace would have to be used as a soil drench to protect kabu and apart from being expensive might have a negative impact on beneficial soil insects.

Shizuman

Fall Gardening

Post by Shizuman »

Thanks!

Doc, I might try and plant a ton and give the crappy ones to the chooks cheers.

Gonbechand and Zasso Ill look into beneficial nematodes, i'm using land that has been let go for quite some time so it might be a good idea in general thank you.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If you get a chance @DocDoesFarming could you post a photo of one or two of your onion seed trays so we can get an idea of what density we should be aiming for when scattering the seeds.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:01 am
If you get a chance @DocDoesFarming could you post a photo of one or two of your onion seed trays so we can get an idea of what density we should be aiming for when scattering the seeds.
Sure no problem but I'm still trying to get the balance right for them myself. Last year I think I over did it and had a mix of various sizes, mostly small, this year I tried to spread thinly, I think one 20ml packet was spread over 4 trays, that still might be too much per tray thinking about it but I'll update when they're ready for planting.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:26 pm
Sure no problem but I'm still trying to get the balance right for them myself. Last year I think I over did it and had a mix of various sizes, mostly small, this year I tried to spread thinly, I think one 20ml packet was spread over 4 trays, that still might be too much per tray thinking about it but I'll update when they're ready for planting.
Thanks man, that's much appreciated.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Hopefully you can see them well.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Fall Gardening

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's awesome, thank you.

Mine are way less densely sown so next year I'll sow them a lot closer together.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Update as promised, I think the 4 trays to one packet is the right amount by the looks of it.

Also as you can see the roots are quite healthy.

Started planting the bastards today, takes about 2 hours for 2 people to do one row. Motorhead is helping a lot with the planting this year.

Logman

Fall Gardening

Post by Logman »

That's a lot of onions! I did mine in the tiny cell trays. By the time I planted them, they weren't looking that healthy. I'm hoping they will bounce back, all 1000 of them.

DocDoesFarming

Fall Gardening

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Logman wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:42 pm
That's a lot of onions! I did mine in the tiny cell trays. By the time I planted them, they weren't looking that healthy. I'm hoping they will bounce back, all 1000 of them.
We did that the first year we grew them and had the same result, what we are doing now is way easier to do and they look very healthy.