G'day from Gifu

Please introduce yourself
tataminodani

G'day from Gifu

Post by tataminodani »

oh, I will definitely look into that stuff. The new place has forest on two sides so the insect life is pretty intense.

Thanks a heap.

tataminodani

G'day from Gifu

Post by tataminodani »

On a slightly different topic Zasso, You mentioned a type of hardy squash recently. I can't find the thread or remember the name off the top of my head though. A long one that looks like a bent orange thermometer.

I was curious where you got them because I couldn't seem to find any seeds or seedlings at the time when I had the name handy.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

G'day from Gifu

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Might that be tronboncino? It's a long squash that is generally picked as a zucchini but it's not as tasty as a butternut squash. We grow a cross between tronboncino and butternut that was made by accident and imaginatively named it tronbonnuts that turned out to be quite tasty and have a longer neck than butternut. However, I wouldn't say it's Hardy, like most squash the plant will die off in the frost.

You can buy tronboncino seeds from natural harvest, there's a link somewhere to most of the seeds companies but Natural Harvest's seeds have a somewhat variable germination rate.

tataminodani

G'day from Gifu

Post by tataminodani »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:42 pm
Might that be tronboncino?
Yeah, that was the one, thanks. It was more the heat tolerance I was after than cold.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:42 pm
You can buy tronboncino seeds from natural harvest, there's a link somewhere to most of the seeds companies but Natural Harvest's seeds have a somewhat variable germination rate.
Cheers. I will grab some from there then.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

G'day from Gifu

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Members of the Cucurbita pepo family tend to be more heat resistant and less susceptible to downy mildew. So things like tronboncino and butternut do better in the middle of summer as opposed to other pumpkin and zucchini.

If buying from natural harvest then save some of your own seeds for the next year as they don't always have the seeds you want in stock.