Repairing a PVC pipe

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Has anyone repaired a pvc pipe using FRP/fibreglass? I have a pipe running from a well to various points on our fields that has developed a pin prick leak.

It's at the right hand side of the lower T-joint. Have tried layering on extra glue but it still seems to be leaking. So rather than doing the proper thing and cutting the T-joint out and replacing (along with digging enough pipe out to be able to bend the pipes to fit new pieces) was wondering if wrapping the pipe in FRP would seal it up ? This water isn't for drinking just irrigation.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by gonbechan »

Have you tried 2 part marine epoxy? the one where you mix a with b and then cover the offending area...

Amazon cheap marine epoxy stuff

DocDoesFarming

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I was going to suggest Plumber's Mate but that stuff Gonbechan linked is way cheaper.

You could always watch this:

I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Hadn't heard of the marine epoxy and it looks quite a bit cheaper than some of the FRP kits I was looking at. Seems pretty easy to apply as well, do you need to wear gloves when mixing ? Or is it safe to just mix and apply with bare hands ? Like DocDoesFarming I'm not really a glove person unless really needed but unlike him have silky smooth skin not the wizened claws of an old farmer :D

@DocDoesFarming wasn't there a whole series of movies like that back in the 70's ? How things have changed since then and probably for the better. Apparently the Elaine Page was in it, I bet that's one role she would rather forget about entirely :lol:

DocDoesFarming

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:47 am
@DocDoesFarming wasn't there a whole series of movies like that back in the 70's ? How things have changed since then and probably for the better. Apparently the Elaine Page was in it, I bet that's one role she would rather forget about entirely :lol:
The other one i vaguely remember as a kid was something about a window cleaner going around banging the local house wives. Funnily enough the same actor popped up in some film I watched the other day called Britannia Hospital rocking a suit with flares, and this film came out in 1982..
Zasso Nouka wrote:
do you need to wear gloves when mixing
If it's anything like the locktite concrete stick thing I use sometimes it's fine without gloves but make sure to scrub your hands straight afterwards as it's a pain to get off the skin.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Hadn't heard of the marine epoxy and it looks quite a bit cheaper than some of the FRP kits I was looking at. Seems pretty easy to apply as well, do you need to wear gloves when mixing ? Or is it safe to just mix and apply with bare hands ? Like DocDoesFarming I'm not really a glove person unless really needed but unlike him have silky smooth skin not the wizened claws of an old farmer :D

you can if you want.. but if you dont want, then put some hand cream or something on your hands before starting, otherwise you gonna have to scrub the shit off... for days

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like it's best to use gloves then, we've got some of those nitrile gloves around somewhere. Not too keen on spending days trying to get the stuff off if it hardens quickly.
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:49 am
The other one i vaguely remember as a kid was something about a window cleaner going around banging the local house wives. Funnily enough the same actor popped up in some film I watched the other day called Britannia Hospital rocking a suit with flares, and this film came out in 1982..
Don't think I've ever actually seen any of them but do vaguely recall them being a thing. At that tender age the Carry On films were about as saucy as I was allowed to watch :lol:

Tora

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by Tora »

The epoxy putty is good stuff. I used some to repair a hole in the bottom of a cement mixer years ago and it’s still going strong.

I’d wear some disposable food prep gloves if they aren’t included with the putty. Gonbechan is right about its staying power.

Also, rough up the surface of the area to be repaired with some coarse sand paper (80# or whatever you have in that range) and prep it with some acetone or methyl alcohol if you have it for a better bond.

I’d also look for epoxy putty for use with vinyl based plastics if you can find any.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Repairing a PVC pipe

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thank you @Tora. Mrs Nouka had some gloves she uses for food prep, little small perhaps but better than getting that stuff stuck on me skin.

Good tip with the sand paper, I think we have some #100 grade paper in stock so will rough the pipes up with that. Also got some pure ethanol as well so will clean the area as well. The putty must be tough stuff if it has survived in your cement mixer :shock:

Thank you.