Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

tataminodani wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:09 am
And now I want some itachi :think: and maybe some matabi too :lol:

Keeping the snakes away is a bonus. I feel sorry for the frogs and lizards though.
Itachi are really cute and fun to watch if you have an open space, as soon as they pick up on something they just jump on it and get stuck in. Cat-chan once made the mistake of thinking she could take one on and ended up getting chased, luckily her longer legs gave her a speed advantage. Now she gives them wide berth.

In the winter when presumably other food is scarce they can be attracted with small dog biscuits.

A smelly plants thread you say ? No sooner said than done.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Voles

Post by gonbechan »

I just found out ... that amazon sells .... fox urine, wolf urine, coyote urine, bobcat urine... among other things..
supposed to (in the above fox class which would probably only work for voles) keep monkeys, wild boar, bears etc at bay...

Here is a link to the cheapest Wolf Pee.. which will then take you down the similar item route on Amazon.

(returns to trying to pick out a washingmachine replacement for the one that went tits up mid-wash.. it was 17 years old so i shouldnt complain)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sounds like a good idea 💡 🤔. I'm guessing it has been sterilised for use around vegetables and stuff.

Good luck with the hunt for a new washing machine, can be a right bummer when they suddenly stop working.

edmundedgar

Voles

Post by edmundedgar »

I got some of that stuff in hope of keeping stray cats away. I don't really have enough data to know whether it had any effect on the cats. It doesn't seem to bother my goats.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Voles

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:10 pm
Sounds like a good idea 💡 🤔. I'm guessing it has been sterilised for use around vegetables and stuff.

Good luck with the hunt for a new washing machine, can be a right bummer when they suddenly stop working.
This one is said to be 100% urine with no additives. JAS organic compliant product

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

So it is presumably safe to use then. We did get advised to give something similar a go for the inoshishi but as we already had the electric fence energiser decided to use that.

VanillaEssence

Voles

Post by VanillaEssence »

Could be wrong but I have a hard time believing spreading some piss around is going to have much of an impact at all. A more American solution may be called for big pests. Maybe you don't need to blast your voles though

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Voles

Post by gonbechan »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:55 pm
Could be wrong but I have a hard time believing spreading some piss around is going to have much of an impact at all. A more American solution may be called for big pests. Maybe you don't need to blast your voles though
i think you are right.. you could be wrong hahahahaha

Pyrazine analogs are active components of wolf urine that induce avoidance and fear-related behaviors in deer

Tora

Voles

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:34 pm
So it is presumably safe to use then. We did get advised to give something similar a go for the inoshishi but as we already had the electric fence energiser decided to use that.
Cutting weeds, raking leaves, dragging your feet around, or otherwise disturbing the appearance of an area puts the inoshishi off an area. Not sure how long that will last, though- especially if it is on one of their main/traditional routes, in which case you could take out one of them and another will cruise on through a couple meters to the left or right within a couple weeks or a month or maybe less.

VanillaEssence

Voles

Post by VanillaEssence »

gonbechan wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:06 pm
VanillaEssence wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:55 pm
i think you are right.. you could be wrong hahahahaha

Pyrazine analogs are active components of wolf urine that induce avoidance and fear-related behaviors in deer
That does seem like a very high concentration of piss.