Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:49 pm
Cutting weeds, raking leaves, dragging your feet around, or otherwise disturbing the appearance of an area puts the inoshishi off an area. Not sure how long that will last, though- especially if it is on one of their main/traditional routes, in which case you could take out one of them and another will cruise on through a couple meters to the left or right within a couple weeks or a month or maybe less.
Given that most pigs are reasonably smart can we assume they associate increased human activity with more inoshishi getting killed by people ? Tanuki, raccoons, itachi will all come fairly close to our house looking for food but we've never had inoshishi come close or picked them up near the house on the infrared cameras.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Voles

Post by gonbechan »

VanillaEssence wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:14 am
gonbechan wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:06 pm
VanillaEssence wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:55 pm
Could be wrong but I have a hard time believing spreading some piss around is going to have much of an impact at all. A more American solution may be called for big pests. Maybe you don't need to blast your voles though
i think you are right.. you could be wrong hahahahaha

Pyrazine analogs are active components of wolf urine that induce avoidance and fear-related behaviors in deer
That does seem like a very high concentration of piss.
maybe the wolfies were dehydrated after a night out... who knows.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

This is more idle curiosity than anything else but does wolf pee work on creatures that have never smelt a wolf in their entire lives ? Or would it just be a curious smell they don't have any reason to be cautious about ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Voles

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:27 pm
This is more idle curiosity than anything else but does wolf pee work on creatures that have never smelt a wolf in their entire lives ? Or would it just be a curious smell they don't have any reason to be cautious about ?
well that paper that i linked to was a study on japanese deer.. and wolves are extinct in japan.. so .. seems like it.

VanillaEssence

Voles

Post by VanillaEssence »

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:21 pm
well that paper that i linked to was a study on japanese deer.. and wolves are extinct in japan.. so .. seems like it.
I totally get that over generations deer would be wary of anything smelling of wolves but am also wondering at the same time whether voles which haven't been preyed on for whoever knows how long would also shy away from the smell.

The reason I ask this is because when we first started farming we bought a batch of something containing lion pee or smell or something, was a small pellet and supposedly harvested from lions in a zoo. I'm not sure of the exact process now as it was a long time ago but we sprinkled it around and it had zero effect on the local wildlife. Even our own cats didn't react to it and I was totally bummed out spending so much money on something that seemed to have little to no effect.

I'm not saying wolf pee doesn't work as wolves were definitely a thing in Japan whereas lions probably never lived here.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Voles

Post by gonbechan »

ah.. but why the hell would you buy lion poops..
hahahaha. you have herds of zebra invading your fields?

In the paper, they say that mice and deer had fear response to the wolf pee.. so maybe its like birds migrating and shit like that.. some kind of hereditary imprint.... before wolves went extinct in Japan.. mice and deer were their prey...

I reckon fox wee would work for voles though.. fox hunt little mammals much more than wolves did/do

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Well, all I can say is when we first started farming we weren't quite sure what worked and what didn't. The advertising on the pack said it would keep pests away and we just went with that, now we know most Japanese small creatures have absolutely no idea what a lion is :doh:

Tora

Voles

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:26 am
Given that most pigs are reasonably smart can we assume they associate increased human activity with more inoshishi getting killed by people ? Tanuki, raccoons, itachi will all come fairly close to our house looking for food but we've never had inoshishi come close or picked them up near the house on the infrared cameras.
Might be an intelligence thing. Might be that inoshishi are tastier and afraid of being eaten. In the wild, animals are usually either predators or prey or both.

Also, If you’re ever out in the evening or at night with a head/flashlight or just moonlight, you can really see recently disturbed natural areas (especilly where bigger animals have passed or rustled around) much better than you can in the daytime. Maybe that’s what the boars, deer, etc. are seeing and wary of.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Voles

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's actually a really good point. Things that might look really normal in daylight to us look completely different to other creatures in a different light.