gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Stinky plants

Post by gonbechan »

tataminodani wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:16 am
Weird. My message got cut off. Maybe I accidentally deleted it myself :oops:

waiting with bated breath for the 2nd installment that follows the 'smelly plants' trunkated sentence hahahaha.

Last year we planted a lot of lavender near the house because of an explosion of suzumebachi ... most of my neighbours had nests either in their eaves or drainpipes... they didn't seem to care but we had to keep certain windows closed the year before.. and keep the plug in the bath and washbasin when not in use (they nested in the ground on the north side of our house.)
This year we had none.. and our neighbours only got nests high up in their eaves that didn't face our lavender... so maybe it worked.

I am a firm believer in the power of smelly plants.. yoroshiku. :D

tataminodani

Stinky Plants

Post by tataminodani »

Maybe we need another thread for the smelly plants but...

I bought some pots of corsican mint for exactly this purpose. It apparently makes a nice low smelly ground cover that hornets hate. I was just dividing them up into multiple pots today. :lol:

Good to know that lavender might work too. I was thinking to plant some near the bat houses as apparently they like the smell, but if it keeps the Suzies away I might plant more of it around the place.

I was going to copy some plants that might work vs voles but when I went back to the page I had misread it and said "these don't work" :oops: However, it was an extermination company so they might actually work...

garlic, spearmint, thyme, and onion were the plants. I am already going to plant those anyway so fingers crossed they do something.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Stinky plants

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Here you go a brand new topic as requested. The topic title isn't fixed if anyone prefers something different, its just what came to mind first :twisted:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Stinky Plants

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:32 pm
Here you go a brand new topic as requested. The topic title isn't fixed if anyone prefers something different, its just what came to mind first :twisted:
Stinky plants does the job splendidly.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Stinky plants

Post by gonbechan »

Lavender is controversial.. some people say it attracts wasps, some say it repels.
I have found that suzumebachi tend to stay away from it.

Also good for wasps.. lemongrass, mint, citronella, sage, rosemary, clove, geranium, thyme, pennyroyal and fennel.
citronella and geraniums are good for keeping the mozzies away too.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Stinky Plants

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 pm
Stinky plants does the job splendidly.
Done, your wish is my command ✨️ 😌

tataminodani

Stinky plants

Post by tataminodani »

Thanks Zasso.

On the corsican mint, it looks really nice, is shade tolerant and has quite a pleasant smell. The downside to most X oil deters Y pest calculations is that the oil isn't usually effective when it's still in the plant. So teh plant needs to be crushed, brushed or a least disturbed regularly to have an effect.

So my thinking is that a groundcover that gets walked on a lot will generate more smell. Time will tell if this works or is a disaster.

I also put a couple of bunches under my hedge at the main house that the suzies love nesting in, so lets see how fast and far it spreads.

I am expanding my lavender plans too now. It also allegedly keeps moths away too so we can test that also.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Stinky plants

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I'll go out on a limb here and offer some advice, although it doesn't really have anything to do with smelly plants.

I think it's a well know fact that bears 🐻 love to raid beehives and wasp nests, have you two thought of that ? Take a few measure to attract some bears and you suzumebachi problems will be a thing of the past :D

Simples.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Stinky plants

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:22 pm
I'll go out on a limb here and offer some advice, although it doesn't really have anything to do with smelly plants.

I think it's a well know fact that bears 🐻 love to raid beehives and wasp nests, have you two thought of that ? Take a few measure to attract some bears and you suzumebachi problems will be a thing of the past :D

Simples.
hmmm i think your post is stinky .. but its not the plants nor the bear... :D
i call boo-sheet

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Stinky plants

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That my favourite fallback Halloween costume 🤪 🤣