Please introduce yourself
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello from Tokyo

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:32 pm
I've been attacked by two varieties, the gold on in your picture and one that has the same colouring as a typical house fly. The reason a fan jacket works is because it puts too much space between your skin and the outer fabric so they can't reach your skin 4. Normally the feed on pigs, cows aand horses so can go through quite thick clothing, DEET seems to deter them if you don't mind spraying that.
@Richtko welcome to here.. It's great to see new faces and I look forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing lots of pictures of land and etc... please leave the horseflies outside haha.
for both you and @Zasso Nouka , horseflies hate vinegar. Spraying apple cider vinegar on your clothing, as well as wearing light coloured clothing should help a lot.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Tokyo

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:26 pm
@Richtko welcome to here.. It's great to see new faces and I look forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing lots of pictures of land and etc... please leave the horseflies outside haha.
for both you and @Zasso Nouka , horseflies hate vinegar. Spraying apple cider vinegar on your clothing, as well as wearing light coloured clothing should help a lot.
I didn't know that. We normally use some handcrafted organic vinegar from somewhere or other, would the normal cheap stuff also work ?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello from Tokyo

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:42 pm

I didn't know that. We normally use some handcrafted organic vinegar from somewhere or other, would the normal cheap stuff also work ?
I think any old vinegar would work.. it does on horses.. I just thought you know.. human delicate sensibilities being what they are... apple cider vinegar would be the lesser evil in the pong dept.
You dont need that much.. and don't dilute it.. or you will have to keep spraying yourself.
for horses one needs to add mineral oil and a few other things .. but humans wear clothes.. so just spray it on them and on your shoes and hat too.

here is the recipe for horses..

About 2 cups of apple cider vinegar
About 1 Tbs. mineral oil or any other liquid oil
About ½ Tbs. of liquid dish soap
About 30 – 40 drops of any or a combination of these oils:
Lemongrass, lavender, cedarwood, tea tree, eucalyptus, citronella, peppermint, basil, and rosemary
A suitable spray bottle

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello from Tokyo

Post by gonbechan »

PS.. considering Suzumebachi-kun.. perhaps cheap rice vinegar would be better.
Wasps dont like vinegar either but they are attracted to apple cider vinegar... they hate white rice vinegar.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Tokyo

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thank you. Luckily cooling temperatures seem to have killed most of the abu and mosquitos off but will give it a try next summer

Richtko

Hello from Tokyo

Post by Richtko »

Some great advice, thank you for the tips. :D

tataminodani

Hello from Tokyo

Post by tataminodani »

ooh that land looks amazing. You will have a lot of fun there.

Bugs in Japan can get pretty crazy. I remember when I was visiting a friend in shikoku once, I stepped outside and there was a literal car sized cloud of something buzzing across his yard toward me. I squealed like a little girl and dashed back inside. They looked pretty big so possibly Abu or wasps or something but I didn't want to find out. :lol: