Please introduce yourself
m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

tataminodani wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:32 pm
m00nberri wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:30 am
Farm neighbors! Awesome, it'll be cool to know somebody else in the area. We've seen a lot of cool places up in Tuskechi, thought mostly Akiya with some land and not just land itself.

Enako, that's where that big bridge is, right?
There was a really cool old house right next to a shrine near there that we saw! Though they told us the fields there are pretty strictly protected.
:shock: Ha. That might be exactly the place I am getting. There is a shrine next to it and a cool old house on the block. 3 fields, near the power plant?

Re fields protected: In what way? I got told the opposite. I could do what I wanted with them. But I had to wait until December because there is someone renting it at the moment and we have to wait until they harvest their soy beans.
Yeah! That's probably the one! :lol:

Maybe we misunderstood, we asked a lady at HouseDo about it (I'm pretty sure it was that one at least), and she was very much like "No, those are tanbo and it's in a special area so you can't get permission to buy it at all there's no chance". But that lady in general seemed much more combative about purchasing fields than anybody else we've talked to so not sure what's up with it.

Sounds like it's actually not a problem though! Hope it all goes smooth for you, seems like a nice spot :D

tataminodani

Hello from Aichi!

Post by tataminodani »

Ah yeah, that's the same deal with any rice field (田) zoned land. Just means:

1. You can't build a real building there (house or business etc.)
2. You can't convert it easily to residential land
3. You need the nougyouinkai's (農業員会 local agriculture council) permission to buy it. (to stop 1 and 2)

This is Japan's attempt at protecting their food self sufficiency as much as possible, by stopping people replacing good farmland with houses.

We signed the contract yesterday, so now it is in the hands of said inkai.

I can't use the fields until I get a thumbs up but I can start working on the house and cleaning at least. I will probably be there most weekends and Wednesdays once I get a routine going so drop by :D

Logman

Hello from Aichi!

Post by Logman »

m00nberri wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:35 pm
Logman wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:05 pm
Once you find the land it's easy to jump in and learn as you go if you're just doing it as a hobby. I built a 3mx3m chicken coop with a massive enclosed run and fenced off another large area for them to free range. We have 38 of the buggers now. I grow copious amounts of veggies next to it and we also have a large polytunnel. I knew nothing 3 years ago! We also harvested 3 tons of rice this year. This lifestyle is somewhat addictive, hah.
That's exciting to hear! The chicken situation sounds like a lot of fun haha
And literally 3 tons?? What kind of space was that in? That's so much rice :lol:
We have 5 rice fields now. I have one that is 1.6 tan or tanbu and my sister-in-law has one the same size. My father-in-law has one that is 1 tan. And I have 2 smaller fields that together are 1 tan.

1 tan or tanbu is 992 square meters.

I believe I paid 250,000 for the 1.6 tan field. Very cheap. I was given the 2 smaller fields by an old bachan. We got around 95 of the 30kg sacks of rice and sold half. Could do with selling another 10 or so. I don't mind having extra though. Will serve me well in the coming apocalypse. :lol:

tataminodani

Hello from Aichi!

Post by tataminodani »

Did you buy or rent the tractor for harvesting or was there some in the family or borowed?

czaujapman

Hello from Aichi!

Post by czaujapman »

Logman wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:50 am
I don't mind having extra though. Will serve me well in the coming apocalypse. :lol:
Ken oath
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

tataminodani wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:45 am
Ah yeah, that's the same deal with any rice field (田) zoned land. Just means:

1. You can't build a real building there (house or business etc.)
2. You can't convert it easily to residential land
3. You need the nougyouinkai's (農業員会 local agriculture council) permission to buy it. (to stop 1 and 2)

This is Japan's attempt at protecting their food self sufficiency as much as possible, by stopping people replacing good farmland with houses.

We signed the contract yesterday, so now it is in the hands of said inkai.

I can't use the fields until I get a thumbs up but I can start working on the house and cleaning at least. I will probably be there most weekends and Wednesdays once I get a routine going so drop by :D
Yeah, a few different places explained things similarly to us, but most of them seemed to be very much like "It's not really that strict though, I don't think you guys would have any problems." Just the one lady in particular seemed really doubtful about it for whatever reason :?

Congratulations on the place though! May the inkai be in your favor lol

Fiancee is out of the country till right after New years, but we'll probably start regularly heading up there again to check things out shortly after that, so we'll definitely swing by if possible!

Any ideas what you're going to do with the place?

Logman wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:50 am
We have 5 rice fields now. I have one that is 1.6 tan or tanbu and my sister-in-law has one the same size. My father-in-law has one that is 1 tan. And I have 2 smaller fields that together are 1 tan.

1 tan or tanbu is 992 square meters.

I believe I paid 250,000 for the 1.6 tan field. Very cheap. I was given the 2 smaller fields by an old bachan. We got around 95 of the 30kg sacks of rice and sold half. Could do with selling another 10 or so. I don't mind having extra though. Will serve me well in the coming apocalypse. :lol:
Oh wow that's a lot of fields! Almost an acre and a half or so?
Does everybody work them individually, or do you do it all yourself?

You're definitely set if we default back to rice as currency :lol:

tataminodani

Hello from Aichi!

Post by tataminodani »

m00nberri wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:54 pm
Yeah, a few different places explained things similarly to us, but most of them seemed to be very much like "It's not really that strict though, I don't think you guys would have any problems." Just the one lady in particular seemed really doubtful about it for whatever reason :?
Yeah, I wonder if there was a miscommunication and she thought you said something like "We want to build a house on the farmland". I could see someone flaring up at that.

The shop owner maybe remembered you. I mentioned talking to someone and he said he showed the place to another Gaikoku no kata before us. Maybe that was you.
m00nberri wrote: Congratulations on the place though! May the inkai be in your favor lol
Thanks mate!
m00nberri wrote: Fiancee is out of the country till right after New years, but we'll probably start regularly heading up there again to check things out shortly after that, so we'll definitely swing by if possible!

Any ideas what you're going to do with the place?
I will probably pull down the little place with the bar and library in it. It's rotten through from the humidity and I almost went through the floor.

I DID go through the floor in the main house's kitchen though. I will need to replace all the old flooring at the very least. I might fix the second floor room up enough to camp in and use the bottom floor for storage and a workshop. The hope is to eventually build a real house (just a granny flat size) where the little place is.

But we will see what happens.

m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

tataminodani wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:10 am
Yeah, I wonder if there was a miscommunication and she thought you said something like "We want to build a house on the farmland". I could see someone flaring up at that.

The shop owner maybe remembered you. I mentioned talking to someone and he said he showed the place to another Gaikoku no kata before us. Maybe that was you.
Yeah I could see something like that being the case. She was otherwise very helpful though lol

That might have been us! We've definitely been out there talking to a lot of different people.
I will probably pull down the little place with the bar and library in it. It's rotten through from the humidity and I almost went through the floor.

I DID go through the floor in the main house's kitchen though. I will need to replace all the old flooring at the very least. I might fix the second floor room up enough to camp in and use the bottom floor for storage and a workshop. The hope is to eventually build a real house (just a granny flat size) where the little place is.
I didn't realize how much caution would need to be given to the floor in these old houses :shock:
Sounds like a pretty fun plan so far!

I've thought some DIY would be fun in an old akiya, but having no experience, I'm pretty doubtful of my ability to actually do anything useful haha

tataminodani

Hello from Aichi!

Post by tataminodani »

The absolute most important part of DIY is not being afraid and just trying.

Most stuff can be worked out on the fly or researched a bit then tried. Just look at the problem, think about it and then try something. If it fails, try something else.

I will mostly pull out the old wood, measure it and get a piece the same dimensions and trim it to length and shape. Making note of the disassembly order and placement if there are more than a few pieces.

I was sad to find out that there used to be an Irori (the small open fire pit) but they renovated a floor over it. :cry: The chimney is still there, so I may think about rebuilding it. I always wanted one. :D

Also, pros don't not make mistakes - they just know how to cover them up better and which direction to make allowances in. e.g. better to make your first cut too long and trim back slowly than too short and have to start over. As my father often says: Filler, trim, sandpaper, paint and plaster can cover a multitude of sins. :lol:

Only thing I won't touch is gas, and complex electrical and water stuff. A mistake there can cost you the building or your life :naughty:

Have you decided on a place yet or still looking? Once my own food forest is going feel free to come scrounge some cuttings and seeds if any interest you. :thumbup:

m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

tataminodani wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:10 pm
The absolute most important part of DIY is not being afraid and just trying.

Most stuff can be worked out on the fly or researched a bit then tried. Just look at the problem, think about it and then try something. If it fails, try something else.
I for sure want to try some things here or there if I see an opportunity. But I always hear stories of people buying crazy cheap Akiya and then DIYing most of everything that needs fixing themselves for pennies. And while that sounds exciting, I don't want to bite of more than I can chew I guess, or end up spending more than we would on a nicer house in reforms when we find out the DIY might be out of our skill level.
I was sad to find out that there used to be an Irori (the small open fire pit) but they renovated a floor over it. :cry: The chimney is still there, so I may think about rebuilding it. I always wanted one. :D
We've seen so many places up there with those! They're' so cool :D It's not on our 'definitely need' list or anything, but we'd definitely be happy if we end up with one. Interested to hear about the rebuilding if you get around it it!
Also, pros don't not make mistakes - they just know how to cover them up better and which direction to make allowances in. e.g. better to make your first cut too long and trim back slowly than too short and have to start over. As my father often says: Filler, trim, sandpaper, paint and plaster can cover a multitude of sins. :lol:

Only thing I won't touch is gas, and complex electrical and water stuff. A mistake there can cost you the building or your life :naughty:
Ah yeah for sure some things should be left alone.
I've definitely had a few too close for comfort moments with electricity working on my cars/bikes :shifty:

As far as the whole "measure twice cut once"/ covering up blemishes thing is concerned, are materials generally expensive here? I'm more than happy to try something 12 times until it works, but my wallet might be less excited about that :lol:
Have you decided on a place yet or still looking? Once my own food forest is going feel free to come scrounge some cuttings and seeds if any interest you. :thumbup:
There's a handful of places that we're really interested in, and have requested the general preliminary paperwork/information for. (Like what needs repair/reform plus quotes for things we may want). But due to some issues, getting a home loan might be a bit difficult for us, and we don't quite have enough saved up to comfortably pay 100% in cash. We're thinking of maybe doing a free loan to cover the difference on a cheap old fixer-upper and then getting a reform loan to cover the essential things that would be difficult to fix ourselves (the 水回り mostly, i.e. the kitchen, bathroom, toilet, maybe electricity if it needs it).

But, like I said, the other half is out of Japan until January so things are kind of on pause until then. (Difficult for me to do a lot of the things myself, unfortunately) Hoping all the houses we like don't get snapped up by then, but there will always be more if they do.

But definitely once everybody's all set up and established, super excited to trade all kinds of plant things! :D