Hello from Aichi!

Please introduce yourself
tataminodani

Hello from Aichi!

Post by tataminodani »

m00nberri wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:11 am
I for sure want to try some things here or there if I see an opportunity. But I always hear stories of people buying crazy cheap Akiya and then DIYing most of everything that needs fixing themselves for pennies. And while that sounds exciting, I don't want to bite of more than I can chew I guess, or end up spending more than we would on a nicer house in reforms when we find out the DIY might be out of our skill level.
Yeah, you can do it on the cheap. More skilled = lower cost generally as you can improvise more easily.

But it depends on if you want to. No amount of DIY is going to make an Akiya equivalent to a modern home in convenience, comfort, heating/cooling costs, efficient use of space etc.

I would be fine roughing it a little in a fixed up Akiya, but my wife and kids would balk at the idea.

You also need to be able to live while it's in progress. I have been working on stuff on our current house for 5, almost 6 years now and there is still work to be done. We splurged at purchase time on a new bathroom and had the pros touch up the kitchen (re coat the counter, replace door handles, polish metal fixtures etc.). If we hadn't done that it would been a lot less pleasant for those 5 years.
m00nberri wrote:
As far as the whole "measure twice cut once"/ covering up blemishes thing is concerned, are materials generally expensive here? I'm more than happy to try something 12 times until it works, but my wallet might be less excited about that
I regularly take 3 tries. First try I eyeball it, but am way off. However, now I think I am sure I have it worked out. Second time I realise nope, I am not going to be able to get it by eyeballing it and take the old part to the hardware store or to my work bench etc. Then I get it right the third time :lol:

Cost wise, most stuff is priced what I'd expect. But every now and then I want some part that I know from back home but simply doesn't exist in daily Japanese life and have to buy it online for some outrageous price or bank breaking postage cost.

Then almost always find a local equivalent 3-6 months later. :lol:
m00nberri wrote:
There's a handful of places that we're really interested in... <snip>

But definitely once everybody's all set up and established, super excited to trade all kinds of plant things!
Good luck! Even if you miss them, more will come around. It just takes patience.

But yes, my farm gate is always open to share plant stuff. :dance:

m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

tataminodani wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm
Good luck! Even if you miss them, more will come around. It just takes patience.

But yes, my farm gate is always open to share plant stuff. :dance:
Mega late reply! Sorry, lol
Thanks again for all the advice

Was kinda of MIA until we could just now pick back up on the hunt again, but I've got a question for you about fields and a specific property related to all the fun 農業員会 rules and requirements, especially since you are going through all of that in the area we're looking in. It seemed more suited to a pm, but I guess I haven't been around long enough here to send those yet :?
I also have no idea about general forum etiquette, should I just plop it here in this thread? Or is a whole new topic better somewhere else? does it even matter at all? lol

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Aichi!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You have to make between 10 - 15 posts before getting access to the messaging system, it's to stop spammers coming on and messaging folk right away.

If you think your questions about acquiring farmland or getting registered would benefit other people seeking the same answers then by all means start a new topic or add them on to an existing one so other folk can find them more easily. Or if they are unique to your situation and wouldn't apply to anyone else keep them in this one. There's no real right or wrong really.

m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:51 am
You have to make between 10 - 15 posts before getting access to the messaging system, it's to stop spammers coming on and messaging folk right away.
Ahhh, got it!

I guess I'll put it here for now, since it's a bit specific.

So, still looking at properties in Nakatsugawa and we've had this one in mind (among others):

HouseDo
Akiya Bank

It's registered with the Nakatsugawa Akiya Bank, but actually managed by HouseDo.

It's pretty big, has a couple of fields (both Tanbo and Hatake), and is in an area we like.

We contacted the Akiya bank for info about the house, however the person in charge is out for the time being, so the person we got in contact with could only refer us to HouseDo.

Much like previously mentioned in this thread, the lady at HouseDo is not particularly receptive to houses with fields. (When I was talking about it before, I might have actually been mixing this property up with the other we were talking about, it's hard to remember)

She just flat out refuses to give us any information about the property, or even let us see it, because according to her, "it's for farmers, and you are not farmers".

We understand that there are many steps involved with the 農業員会, paperwork, and other requirements tied to acquiring fields. But, like I said previously, other real estate agents, construction companies, and even the Akiya people at the city hall have given us the idea that it probably wouldn't be a huge problem.

So I guess our question is:
Is there something we're missing, or misunderstanding?
We would like to avoid adding things to our list of possibilities if they are completely unrealistic.

Or is it just this particular agent being much more strict about the rules?

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello from Aichi!

Post by gonbechan »

Just go over her head and contact the 店長
https://nakatsugawa-housedo.com/shop/staff/
Just call the store landline and ask for him, then explain all the etc that you are aware of all that is involved etc...

or just wait until the person in charge is back, which I think will be the best bet, because they have way more info about what you can and can't do in that area and how easy it will be for you or not.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Aichi!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

In addition to what @gonbechan says she's probably not going to make much commission on that property so can't be arsed doing any work for it. Unfortunately there are enough people like that in the real estate industry. Those properties get foisted on them because someone higher up thought it was a good idea to handle Akiya or they have a friend in the shiyakusho and got asked to help out so dropped it on one of their juniors.

Like Gonbechan says, when you speak to the tencho tell them how unhelpful she is and you think it is harming the reputation of his office.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Hello from Aichi!

Post by gonbechan »

another thing. I have a friend who used to work for House Do.
She left because they went into the sub biz of buying cheap akiya, doing mostly cosmetic renovations (aka not properly addressing problems like mold, rotting insulation, asbestos ceilings etc but just covering them up to look pretty) and reselling them at more than 10x the price.

Maybe this house is one slated for that treatment.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Aichi!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That would explain the lack of enthusiasm to shift the property before they can renovate it and sell it at a significant markup.

m00nberri

Hello from Aichi!

Post by m00nberri »

Ahhhh that would explain it if that's what was happening. Especially since we were out there yesterday looking at some other houses, and one of the other real estate agents (different company) told us that the law changed at the beginning of this year to make it even easier to buy fields in that area, and when we told here later that day, she still wasn't having it :lol:

Though through some interesting twist of fate (maybe she reads this board lol), very shortly after posting my question about that property, she ended up contacting us directly about a super nice property with no worries about farming licenses or anything else. Just needs some inspection and a lot of reform, but we think we're going to move forward with this one. :dance:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello from Aichi!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's good news
m00nberri wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:45 am
Though through some interesting twist of fate (maybe she reads this board lol), very shortly after posting my question about that property, she ended up contacting us directly about a super nice property with no worries about farming licenses or anything else. Just needs some inspection and a lot of reform, but we think we're going to move forward with this one. :dance:
Maybe @gonbechan phoned up her boss and said there was an unhelpful staff who was putting potential customers off :twisted:

Jokes aside it maybe worth at least looking at the others, you never know there could be something you find there that calls to you more than this property.