Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

You'll have to phone them up. The bird flu epidemic this year played havoc with stocks of chicks.

MickByrnes1969

Chickens !!!!

Post by MickByrnes1969 »

Yep, good point. I'll do that.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks @DocDoesFarming for your help earlier on chicken food. So, we've bought enough kuzu rice to hopefully last a year and we've been given a load of nuka as well and been promised waste daizu and wheat when our friends harvest those. We've also found a company nearby that produce feed grade fishmeal for a reasonable price which we will use to raise the protein content of our feed to 17%.

Now I've been looking through various recipes, some are fermented some not, and understand what most ingredients are for. IE, kakigara for calcium, genmai and nuka for carbs and other nutrients, fishmeal for protein but can't work out why people add momigara, what part does that play in the mix ? Do you use it in your mix ? And do you ferment your mix ? I've read that nuka will supply all the necessary microbes to start the fermentation going, is that true ?

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Momigara? We've never used it in our feed however the chickens seem to like eating it whenever I spread it about the place when I don't have any straw available. Maybe people use it to bulk up the feed although I don't know what nutritional value it would have.

Komenuka mixed with water will start the fermentation process off (not too much water, enough for a crumble like consistency), obviously if you don't use it straight away it won't be as effective and it takes longer than normal in the winter to heat up.
If you have loads of drums then it's worth making loads so it has time to ferment, even if it doesn't the chickens eat it anyway.

For those wanting to raise chickens in a greenhouse or any type of indoor coop it might be a good idea forking out money for a fan or two otherwise you'll get fuck all eggs because of the heat.

On a side note I finally bumped into the fellow Brit who moved into my area, very friendly dude.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks man,

We've got loads of the stuff but when looking up it's nutritional value it seems to be little more than fibre so couldn't understand why people would put it in a mix apart from as a filler.

We're hoping to ferment genmai, nuka, kakigara together as our main feed and mix in the fishmeal once that has fermented and add any other grains like waste mugi or daizu when they are available, does that sound about right to you ? I was worried that fermenting fishmeal might lead to it going off. Also I read that you have to boil daizu before feeding them to chickens as there is an enzyme in raw daizu that inhibits protein take up, is that right ?

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Your feed sounds a lot more advanced than ours to be fair and we've never used fishmeal so I can't really comment on the best way to go about that.
We usually stick all our ingredients in first instead of adding anything in after so with daizu, the fermentation process (if successful) usually cooks it, hopefully enough from what you wrote. Didn't know that it wasn't a good idea to feed them it raw.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Can't remember the name of the enzyme in daizu that inhibits digestion and protein take up but we boil up a big batch over an open fire in a massive nabe we have. Bring them from cold and then boil for 15 or 20 minutes or longer if I forget, then part dry them out if it's sunny or whack then in one of the cold rooms if that's not possible. Here is a quote
Roasted Soybean Seed - is a good source of protein and fat for poultry. Soybean seed contains a trypsin inhibitor that can severely interfere with digestion in a bird's gut and the seed must be heat treated to inactivate this compound. Roasting is a fairly common method of heat treating seed and roasted soybean seed has been used successfully in organic diets in Manitoba. The processing cost to produce roasted soybean seed is lower than for soybean meal. Roasted soybean seed is sometimes referred as being "full-fat" because the oil has not been extracted from the seed. Because of the high unsaturated fat content of the seed, feeding 20% or more soybean seed may produce a slight fishy taste in the poultry meat or eggs.
Source

But most of the recipes for homemade feed don't mention that.

Do you add anything else other than genmain and nuka ? How do you know your protein content or it's not something you worry about ? We plan to be increasing the amounts of waste vegetables we are feeding them in addition to the basic feed. Do you feed them grit or is the kakigara good enough for that ?

DocDoesFarming

Chickens !!!!

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:58 pm
Do you add anything else other than genmain and nuka

Do you feed them grit or is the kakigara good enough for that ?
Nope just that really, and the kakigara seems to be enough. As far as the protein content... it's not something we worry about although I think it's something I should probably look into a bit more.
I wish they would lay more eggs during the summer but without fans there's not much I can do about that.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks for that man.

We also get a lot less eggs in the summer due to the heat, even though they are running around outside but I have noticed with the cooler evenings we're getting now egg production seems to be slowly going back up so hopefully we're over the worst of the heat :pray:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

So, after consulting with @DocDoesFarming about different approaches to making your own chicken feed and doing a bit of further research we came up with a recipe that works for us.

2500g waste brown rice
1000g nuka or rice bran
750g fishmeal
250g momigara kuntan (biochar)
500g waste mugi

This provides around 17% protein and costs us around 1,300円for 20kg which is somewhat cheaper than buying commercial feed from Home centres or feed suppliers.

Currently we don't ferment the feed but are looking to do that once we've gained experience using this mix and we're also looking to add seaweed meal and crushed crab shell in the future to diversify the nutrients. Oyster shell is feed seperately, we also throw in to their enclosure as much weeds or leftover vegetables as we can to supplement their diet but are currently feeding about 100g of our feed per chicken per day.