Chickens !!!!

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

If there were no feathers or other obvious signs of a struggle then it can only be people that stole the chickens.

You can rule out birds of prey because none of them are big enough to lift a chicken out of it's enclosure. Normally they will dive down and kill a bird with a clean strike then eat whatever they can and leave the remains behind. We've had several chickens killed by hawks now and it always follows the same pattern. Can't say much about owls but the ones we have here are about the same size as our largest hawks so not big enough to lift a whole chicken carcass out of an enclosure.

We don't have foxes but plenty of hakubishin, tanuki and araiguma. Tanuki can eat cage chickens but generally won't mess with free range ones, it's possible but expect to see feathers all over the place as the two fight each other. Hakubishin can take chickens quite easily but again there will be some sort of disturbance as the hakubishin tries to carry a chicken away, they can kill several over the course of a night and stash them to eat later but you are going to see signs of multiple struggles. Araiguma can also kill several birds during the course of a night if they can get access but once again there will be signs of an obvious struggle with plenty of feathers around. I don't have any experience with monkeys but sincerely doubt they would be able to act calmly enough to extract a number of chickens without some obvious signs of a fight.

The only creature I know that can calmly take a chicken once it has got dark without setting the whole flock off in a panic is a person. When we get new chickens they often don't know to go into the house at night so for the first few days we have to go down there after dark and grab hold of them and put them into the house. The only way you can do that without starting the whole flock panicking and flapping around is to quickly but calmly grab each bird and carefully place them into the house. If done just right you can do it without creating much noise or panic amongst the other birds. I sincerely doubt most wild animals would have the self control to do that.

Either that or as @DocDoesFarming says, it was aliens :lol:

Tora

Chickens !!!!

Post by Tora »

Doc and Zasso,

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I expected most predators would create pandemonium and a mess. I guess that just leaves assholes and aliens. “ Aliens and Assholes” sounds like a good name for a drinking game or mature board game. Not sure how it would work though. Maybe it could get hashed out in the Star Wars thread? :lol:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Chickens !!!!

Post by gonbechan »

Otona Cream Pie

Chickens !!!!

Post by Otona Cream Pie »

Thought this was worth posting here...

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Chickens !!!!

Post by gonbechan »

was worth it for the puns alone haha.
I have always enjoyed his channel.

Tora

Chickens !!!!

Post by Tora »

Otona Cream Pie wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:01 pm

Thought this was worth posting here...
I find it quite significant that he never addressed the alien issue.

Still, I feel more like I want to keep chickens now than before watching it. I just don’t know if I want to be the only one responsible for taking care of them. I grew up with an “Animals eat first” philosophy/mandate that is still with me. Maybe not a bad thing in some ways.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Maybe Mark is an alien himself and wants to encourage more people to keep chickens so he and his alien friends can kidnap them in the middle of the night ;)

If you want to keep chickens it might be an idea to wait until things have finished in Ukraine, global wheat and other grain prices have pushed the cost of chicken feed to insane levels.

Tora

Chickens !!!!

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:00 am
Maybe Mark is an alien himself and wants to encourage more people to keep chickens so he and his alien friends can kidnap them in the middle of the night ;)

If you want to keep chickens it might be an idea to wait until things have finished in Ukraine, global wheat and other grain prices have pushed the cost of chicken feed to insane levels.
I wonder what the aliens do with all the chickens they’re abducting?

I ha considered keeping the chickens to offset the cost of all the eggs we eat. I suspected that if I did a chicken tractor, we’d be pretty good for feed from spring to fall considering all the weeds, bugs, snakes, frogs, etc. we have around here. I would really welcome any help I could get on the weed control issue. Not sure about the fall, winter and early spring season, though.

How much supplementary feed do semi free-range birds need in the spring, summer, fall months? I’m guessing they’re pretty dependent on some form of feed provided by their keepers in the winter months.

This Ukraine invasion thing is hurting everyone. I refuse to have anything to do with Puchin or his pudding!

BoggyBoy

Chickens !!!!

Post by BoggyBoy »

I used to have 16 chickens back in NZ. They’re fantastic entertainment - and the free range eggs were so much better than shop bought ones.

Just reading this thread and I thought I’d add a link to a poultry farm near the town I live which I like. They have added extra value with direct sales and bakery shop.
Their eggs are nearly all pre sold, it’s only about every third visit we manage to get some - and that’s always because of a canceled order.
Their cakes are fantastic, too.
A great business model - but hopefully the avian flu doesn’t effect them.

坂斉養鶏場
https://maps.app.goo.gl/M1TP46U7cVXNeSrZ9?g_st=ig

Background history
https://www.shichiyo.jp/voice/%E6%9C%89 ... F%E5%A0%B4

Logman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Logman »

How many chickens do you have? Also, could you share your feed recipe? Mine is 32% genmai, 32% wheat, 27% soybean, 5% peas, 3% seaweed and 1% oyster shells. Would you rather I opened another thread for that?