Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Logman wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:28 pm
How many chickens do you have? Also, could you share your feed recipe? Mine is 32% genmai, 32% wheat, 27% soybean, 5% peas, 3% seaweed and 1% oyster shells. Would you rather I opened another thread for that?
How do you process your soybeans to break down the trypsin inhibitor? We found it very time consuming so eventually gave up using them.

Logman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Logman »

I boil them then dry them out then run through a seed mill to crumble. I don't have enough wheat yet to give this 100% so it's just supplemental right now. At 120g per chicken per day we need 100kg of feed per month so that's just over 30kg of soybeans so it's definitely manageable. My recipe is 19% protein and 6% fat as per my spreadsheet. I have it on Google Sheets and can send you a copy if you've not played around with type of calculator before. i believe you want protein between 16% and 20% and fat around 5%. i have struggled to find a recipe that gets protein high and fat low without soybeans. So interested to hear what you are using.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

We also feed around 120g a day. Here is what we use

Genmai 2450g
Fishmeal 750g
Seaweed meal 50g
Nuka 1000g
Momigara kuntan 250g
Mugi 500g

Total 5kg with a rough protein content of 17% plus they get whatever weeds we have to hand through the summer and kale or cabbage leaves through the winter to make the yolks yellow and as many insects, frogs, worms, mice and lizards as they can find in the fields.

We free feed oyster shells in a small feeder so they eat what they need.

The fish and seaweed meal comes from a small company based in a nearby fishing port and they process the waste products into animal feed. Their fish and seaweed meal are organic as is the mugi but the rice, nuka and momigara although not strictly 100% organic has organic fertiliser used and a very minimal pesticide spray.

Logman

Chickens !!!!

Post by Logman »

If that's daily, I'm guessing you have 40 chickens? I like you're recipe a lot. For me, I came up with something I can grow or gather 100%. Just in case of SHTF. That's just my prepper mindset.

I find the chickens don't really eat momigara. I use it for bedding in the coops and runs.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thank you, if we didn't have the company close by making fishmeal and stuff we probably would have persevered with using soybeans as they are free.

The momigara charcoal is supposed to cut down on any smell from their poop and possibly promote gut health however I don' have any hard and fast evidence if it really does do anything but we make tons of it every autumn so it's easy to add it to the mix.

We have around 30 chickens I think and normally mix up around 40or 50kg at a time rather than every day.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Found a useful feed crop for chickens, banana leaves.

We grow banana trees mostly for fun, although the whole trunks are a great way to add lots of organic matter to the soil quite quickly but recently found out the chickens like to eat the young leaves which have a reasonable protein content, for leaves as well as some minerals and they help colour the yolks.

YoshiYalie

Chickens !!!!

Post by YoshiYalie »

Is it hard to find

jumbo coturnix quail

Or

White leghorn chickens

I’m in southern Ibaraki

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Chickens !!!!

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Largely depends on what varieties breeders local to you have. Normally where we are Momiji (a brown chicken a bit like Boris Browns) and Sakura (a white chicken) are the most commonly available types.

Joyful Honda used to stock Nagoya Cochin, very tasty but not great egg production for the amount of food they eat, Okazaki Ouhan, a bit like Barred Plymouth Rock chickens, halfway between a meat bird and egg layer so lay a reasonable amount of eggs but do eat a lot of food and Boris Browns, good egg layers and have smaller bodies so eat less food.

Depends what you want from a chicken, if it's mostly eggs go for a smaller breed that eats less food, if it's for meat a bigger bird that lays less eggs per week is better.