Do you buy new or second hand tyres ?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life

Do you buy new tyres or second hand tyres ?

Brand new
83%
Secondhand
17%
It depends (please expand in the comments)
No votes

Total votes: 6

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Just took delivery of our winter tyres yesterday and got to wondering do other folk prefer new or secondhand?

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

I've always bought new. I bought brand new Blizzak VRX3 for the mini van last year. My mechanic put them on yesterday and was surprised how worn down they are already. He thinks I only got one more season left on them. I was shocked! I did put 11 000km on them last year. According to spec, snow tires are good for 20 000 to 30 000.

Blizzaks are great but I think they are too soft for my area and next snow tires will be harder type and cheaper, lesson learned.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 am
Just took delivery of our winter tyres yesterday and got to wondering do other folk prefer new or secondhand?
What tires did you buy?
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Normally we use either Dunlop WinterMax or Bridgestone Blizzak but this time picked up 4 Ice Esporte (Autobacs PB brand) tyres for 16,000円 including delivery from Yahoo Auctions. They are secondhand but have 8.3mm of tread depth left and still have the little rubber "hairs" from molding

As you can see they look brand new.

We use Dunlop Enasave for our summer tyres.

I can be quite surprising how short a lifespan some tyres have, not sure why but can be quite disappointing when they are quite expensive. What do you use in summer ?

Tora

Post by Tora »

I buy new tires but I see no problem with used if they’re not too old. The rubber does get harder as they get older. There is a date of manufacture on each tire that is usually photographed and displayed of when they are sold. Sorry I don’t recall how to explain this simply.

Different tire makers and maybe models have different softness of rubber. I bought some new Michelins off of Rakuten last year and they wore super fast. I asked a mechanic friend about that and he said Michelin tires are made with softer rubber. He said Bridgestone are longer lasting. I suspect a softer rubber might be better for winter tires for better grip on snow and ice in cold conditions which makes rubber harder (right?).

Japanese people run their tires really low compared to what I was used to in the US. Running them low gives a more cushioned ride and maybe better grip in some conditions (especially on sand) but the downsides are poorer gas mileage and much faster tire wear on the outside areas of the tire tread. Try riding a bike with low tires, then inflate them properly and feel the night and day difference. Finding out what the inflation specs for your tire are and inflating to that or a little below should make a lot of difference.

Also, driving (too?) fast on winding roads can also cause faster tire wear. Especially if you have a heavier vehicle ore a heavier load- anything that would cause more weight and friction to be focused on the in/outside areas of the tires (if that makes any sense).

That being said, I’ve lived in the mountains of Colorado and the frozen winter wastelands of Minnesota and never bought a winter tire in my life. Those are for people who don’t know how to drive :lol:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

the problem with used, especially winter tyres, is that they might look new but have been sitting around for years and often not in good storage situations.
You should really check the dot date on tyres before you buy them.. new or used.
For Bridgestone here is the dot date.. in case you are curious about your new acquisition lol

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:39 am
I buy new tires but I see no problem with used if they’re not too old. The rubber does get harder as they get older. There is a date of manufacture on each tire that is usually photographed and displayed of when they are sold. Sorry I don’t recall how to explain this simply.
I understood it ok, the listings in Yahoo Auctions also generally have the year of manufacture. If they don't then the seller is probably trying to hide something
Tora wrote:
Different tire makers and maybe models have different softness of rubber. I bought some new Michelins off of Rakuten last year and they wore super fast. I asked a mechanic friend about that and he said Michelin tires are made with softer rubber. He said Bridgestone are longer lasting. I suspect a softer rubber might be better for winter tires for better grip on snow and ice in cold conditions which makes rubber harder (right?).
Not sure if Dunlop Enasave are soft rubber or not but they do seem to wear quickly but they are the recommended tyres for EV's in Japan. You do get noticeably more range with them than other tyres. EV's are also heavier than a similar sized ICE car so maybe that contributes to increased wear
Tora wrote:
That being said, I’ve lived in the mountains of Colorado and the frozen winter wastelands of Minnesota and never bought a winter tire in my life. Those are for people who don’t know how to drive :lol:
:eek: You absolute mad lad :lol:.

Mind you around our way most folk use summer tyres all year round as we really don't get a lot of snow but then again every year we see cars stuck in the tanbo or rear ending someone because they didn't expect a patch of ice on the road.
gonbechan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:43 pm
the problem with used, especially winter tyres, is that they might look new but have been sitting around for years and often not in good storage situations.
You should really check the dot date on tyres before you buy them.. new or used.
For Bridgestone here is the dot date.. in case you are curious about your new acquisition lol
That's a good point. Normally on Yahoo Auctions the date of manufacture is in the listing and if you look at listings with "バリ山" in the title then that means they are so new they still have the little rubber hairs/needles from the injection process. Any reputable tyre dealer there will also list the tread depth remaining (as a reference most winter tyres start off with about 9mm of tread) and have a picture with a tread gauge showing how much is remaining, so the ones we got with 8.3mm are practically new. It's probably better to stick with tyre dealers rather than individual sellers

Does anyone know why our winter tyres are on 16inch wheels and summer tyres on 17inch ones ?

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

I have to buy new because aparently I do too much drifting from how much they wear out each yeah. They honestly looked like they belonged on an F1 car when I was changing them recently.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:33 pm

Does anyone know why our winter tyres are on 16inch wheels and summer tyres on 17inch ones ?
in case you have to add chains.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:20 pm
in case you have to add chains.
Thank you, tthat makes sense. I actually bought some proper chains for the kei truck and they were so difficult to put on we bought the easy fit plastic ones for the Leaf :lol:
DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:57 pm
I have to buy new because aparently I do too much drifting from how much they wear out each yeah. They honestly looked like they belonged on an F1 car when I was changing them recently.
What tyre size do you use ?

These Bridgestone Sneakers are a bit rough and with only 6mm tread left but for 4,000円 you could run them for just one season drifting around every corner like a rally pro :lol:

Chuck2

Post by Chuck2 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:44 am
What do you use in summer ?
I use Bridgestone Playz XRV2. Only used them one season also but seem to have a lot more tread on them.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."