Do you buy new or second hand tyres ?

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life

Do you buy new tyres or second hand tyres ?

Brand new
83%
Secondhand
17%
It depends (please expand in the comments)
No votes

Total votes: 6

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 am
These Bridgestone Sneakers are a bit rough and with only 6mm tread left but for 4,000円 you could run them for just one season drifting around every corner like a rally pro :lol:
I wouldnt buy those.. the tread is worn on in inside edges which means the dude was running them on something like this ..

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:57 pm

I wouldnt buy those.. the tread is worn on in inside edges which means the dude was running them on something like this ..

That's why they are so cheap :D

There are some cars like that around our way, I wondered what the advantage was and how on earth it passes a shaken :think:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 am

What tyre size do you use ?

These Bridgestone Sneakers are a bit rough and with only 6mm tread left but for 4,000円 you could run them for just one season drifting around every corner like a rally pro :lol:
I can't remember to be honest, but they're for my kei truck. I'm just wondering if I should load something heavy on the back to get better traction for the real wheels?

Also am I crazy or do wheels here wear out quicker than back home?
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:42 pm

There are some cars like that around our way, I wondered what the advantage was and how on earth it passes a shaken :think:
no advantage.. in fact its fucking hard to turn a car like that.. its basically for going staightish.. and parking at the rest areas and looking cool.. or thinking you look cool.

and no they cant pass shaken like that.. same with the low downs.. they need to take off the add on aeroparts, jack up the suspension, realign the tyres .. replace the stock exhaust .. or just pay some crooked place to pass their shaken for them...

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:44 pm

I can't remember to be honest, but they're for my kei truck. I'm just wondering if I should load something heavy on the back to get better traction for the real wheels?

when you put air.. put in the recommended for expressway driving pressure.,. your tyres will last longer.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:33 pm
Not sure if Dunlop Enasave are soft rubber or not but they do seem to wear quickly but they are the recommended tyres for EV's in Japan. You do get noticeably more range with them than other tyres. EV's are also heavier than a similar sized ICE car so maybe that contributes to increased wear
I did not know EVs were so heavy. I helped lift a Prius back onto a not so narrow country road years ago and was surprised by how light it seemed.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:33 pm
:eek: You absolute mad lad :lol:.

Mind you around our way most folk use summer tyres all year round as we really don't get a lot of snow but then again every year we see cars stuck in the tanbo or rear ending someone because they didn't expect a patch of ice on the road.
I may be a bit crazy but I’m not “drive around on icy mountain roads with bald tires” crazy any more.

I’m actually scared driving on snowy days because of the other drivers. We had one day right after I moved to Tokushima when the roads froze. It took some people 18 hours to get home. They could’ve walked in 1/3 - 1/4 of the time. It took me a long time to understand that :shock:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:22 pm

no advantage.. in fact its fucking hard to turn a car like that.. its basically for going staightish.. and parking at the rest areas and looking cool.. or thinking you look cool.
They turn like huge big rig trucks :lol:. Personally if young lads want to spend money they've earned on their hobby then why not, seems fairly harmless in the great scheme of things.
gonbechan wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:22 pm
and no they cant pass shaken like that.. same with the low downs.. they need to take off the add on aeroparts, jack up the suspension, realign the tyres .. replace the stock exhaust .. or just pay some crooked place to pass their shaken for them...
Bloody hell, that makes it an expensive hobby. Is it illegal to drive a car that won't pass shaken ? And would that invalidate your car insurance in the event of an accident ?
Tora wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:06 pm
I did not know EVs were so heavy. I helped lift a Prius back onto a not so narrow country road years ago and was surprised by how light it seemed.
Prius's (or should it be Priuii ?) have a relatively small battery compared to full on EV's, our Leaf isn't a big car by it is really heavy.
Tora wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:06 pm
I may be a bit crazy but I’m not “drive around on icy mountain roads with bald tires” crazy any more.

I’m actually scared driving on snowy days because of the other drivers. We had one day right after I moved to Tokushima when the roads froze. It took some people 18 hours to get home. They could’ve walked in 1/3 - 1/4 of the time. It took me a long time to understand that :shock:
I agree, the main danger is other drivers. No disrespect to older drivers (I'm rapidly approaching that myself :crying-yellow:) but folks reaction times do decrease as we age and suddenly hitting a patch of ice on the road is when you most need lightning reflaxes.
DocDoesFarming wrote:

I mostly just stick it in four wheel drive on icy roads and trust to the chunky all season tyres to do their best effort to keep traction.

Tora

Post by Tora »

DocDoesFarming wrote:

Assuming it’s rear wheel drive, most trucks and cargo (and other) vans benefit brim having a couple sand bags or other weight over the rear wheels/axles in winter as well as other times when rear traction is needed. The sand can be used if you get stuck on an icy area. Throw in a shovel and a tow rope and nothing can stop you for long.

One smart sandbag I saw was half of a rubber truck tire inner tube filled with sand and wired closed on both ends (maybe fold the ends over before tying them for a real secure fix). It’s mostly sun, weather, slide and puncture proof.

If you think your tires are wearing faster, see the two posts above referring to proper inflation of tires. Most are under inflated here. You might get better gas mileage if you do too.

If your driving in soft soil, mud, or sand you might actually want your tire pressure low for better traction.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:24 am
I mostly just stick it in four wheel drive on icy roads and trust to the chunky all season tyres to do their best effort to keep traction.
I was told that 4wd is great for snow but isn’t the safest on ice. Probably safer than a rear wheel drive kei truck without sand bags, though- drift paradise! Weeeee!!!! Sometimes “oh! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivxbxbcbxfsfc…”

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:01 pm
I was told that 4wd is great for snow but isn’t the safest on ice. Probably safer than a rear wheel drive kei truck without sand bags, though- drift paradise! Weeeee!!!! Sometimes “oh! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivxbxbcbxfsfc…”
There have cerainly been a few moments I wished I was wearing my brown trousers but so far have managed to avoid ploughing into anyone's fields. The best one was a full 720 degree spin after coming around a corner a little too fast and hitting some black ice with only 2 wheel drive engaged but luckily had the presence of mind to slap 4 wheel drive on and steer out of it rather than hitting the brakes :dance: