You should(not) move to the country

A forum for DIY, cars, pets and all things related to home life
Tora

You should(not) move to the country

Post by Tora »

What are you thoughts on encouraging people (not) to move to the country?

Context:
I had someone who grew up in the nightlife area of the city ask me about moving to the country so he could play and practice his DJ dance music real loud and I found myself at a loss for a definite answer. I didn’t want to feel like an axxhole but I also know it’s not a simple choice and wondered what other folks here considered or tell others to consider before moving to the country.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: You should(not) move to the country

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's an interesting question. Personally I like living in the countryside but it's not for everyone I guess. While some of us love the peace and quiet others would be bored rigid :eek:

I guess you can only lay out the pros and cons and let them decide. Moving to the countryside to play loud music is a possibility and I love having music blaring out from my little shed when working but we're surrounded by forest so it doesn't irritate the neighbours plus one of our neighbours loves to play opera really loud when he's working in his yard and it's quite amusing to hear it wafting over the tree tops :lol:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

A lot of "countryside" in Japan has pretty easy access to nightlife when warranted.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:16 am
I guess you can only lay out the pros and cons and let them decide. Moving to the countryside to play loud music is a possibility and I love having music blaring out from my little shed when working but we're surrounded by forest so it doesn't irritate the neighbours plus one of our neighbours loves to play opera really loud when he's working in his yard and it's quite amusing to hear it wafting over the tree tops :lol:
I think when I try to lay out the pros and cons, I come across as negative. I just don’t want people to come out with delusions that it’ll all be flowers and butterflies when it’s often a lot of weeds and caterpillars waging war on any roots they try to put down.

Speaking of delusional, any suggestions on how I might go about communicating to my friends living out in the cold mountains how important it is to prepare firewood a couple years in advance and not a couple months, weeks, or minutes in advance? :lol: one would think that they would have figured it out after a few years of freezing their asses off :roll:

Tora

Post by Tora »

Sorry, but I seem to have posed the same thing three times and don’t know how to delete the duplicates.

Tora

Post by Tora »

gonbechan wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:22 am
A lot of "countryside" in Japan has pretty easy access to nightlife when warranted.
True but it’s definitely not within stumbling distance.

I think he also wants to create his own little nightlife scene.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Tora wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 pm
Sorry, but I seem to have posed the same thing three times and don’t know how to delete the duplicates.
fixed it.. :D

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:02 pm
I think when I try to lay out the pros and cons, I come across as negative. I just don’t want people to come out with delusions that it’ll all be flowers and butterflies when it’s often a lot of weeds and caterpillars waging war on any roots they try to put down.
That's probably a positive thing to do. Perhaps some folk have an idealised view of what it will be like for them so at least if they understand the negatives and still want to move then they are less likely to feel disappointed with the reality when they arrive in their new home.
Tora wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:02 pm
Speaking of delusional, any suggestions on how I might go about communicating to my friends living out in the cold mountains how important it is to prepare firewood a couple years in advance and not a couple months, weeks, or minutes in advance? :lol: one would think that they would have figured it out after a few years of freezing their asses off :roll:

Somewhat embarrassing we're only just now splitting our wood for this winter :oops: but it has been stacked up off the ground in 4 metre sections with the bark on for over a year and is pretty dry inside. We're lucky enough that when folk nearby cut down trees that's how they stack it in the forest before giving us a call.

Can your friends actually get wet wood to burn ?
Tora wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 pm
Sorry, that's part of the issue that will hopefully get fixed when I do a clean upgrade of the forum software.

Tora

Post by Tora »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:43 am
That's probably a positive thing to do. Perhaps some folk have an idealised view of what it will be like for them so at least if they understand the negatives and still want to move then they are less likely to feel disappointed with the reality when they arrive in their new home.

That’s what I think too. It’s a good like for some but it’s not “easy” in many senses.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:43 am
Somewhat embarrassing we're only just now splitting our wood for this winter :oops: but it has been stacked up off the ground in 4 metre sections with the bark on for over a year and is pretty dry inside. We're lucky enough that when folk nearby cut down trees that's how they stack it in the forest before giving us a call.

Can your friends actually get wet wood to burn ?
What kind of wood are you burning that dries out in a year after felling it. We let our hardwood dry for a few years. The 4-5 year stuff is a little dry. I think it would be fine after a year or 2 in my vinyl house wood storage. I think it gets to over 60 degrees in the summer :shock: as the 50 or 60 degree glass thermometer I left in there exploded!

Somehow, my friends have been getting green that wood to burn on an outdoor fire and bringing the coals inside to kind of heat up the house. It seems like too much work for too little results. It doesn’t work on their bath boiler, though.

I’ve been giving them wood that is too dry or of shapes and sizes that would work for them but not us but I think it would be better for all parties if they learn how to prepare their own damn firewood so they can cook, bathe and not freeze to death in their little Shangri La home out in the mountains :lol:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tora wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:53 pm
That’s what I think too. It’s a good like for some but it’s not “easy” in many senses.
Country life certainly isn't for everyone but can be very rewarding for folk that do like it. We have one family that moved here and they don't join in any of the community activities or events and the rest of us wonder why they moved here. They even pay one of the neighbouring kids to walk their dog :shock:
Tora wrote:
What kind of wood are you burning that dries out in a year after felling it. We let our hardwood dry for a few years. The 4-5 year stuff is a little dry. I think it would be fine after a year or 2 in my vinyl house wood storage. I think it gets to over 60 degrees in the summer :shock: as the 50 or 60 degree glass thermometer I left in there exploded!
Mostly sugi, hinoki and bits of pine. Burns quite fast but does burn quite hot in the woodstove and whilst not ideal thanks to all the volatile oils and resins can burn when still a little damp in an emergency. We only get hardwood from one of the local lumber yards so tend to reserve that for overnight burns in January and February

Every year we say we'll prepare lots of wood in the spring for the following winter and every year we don't :doh:
Tora wrote:
Somehow, my friends have been getting green that wood to burn on an outdoor fire and bringing the coals inside to kind of heat up the house. It seems like too much work for too little results. It doesn’t work on their bath boiler, though.

I’ve been giving them wood that is too dry or of shapes and sizes that would work for them but not us but I think it would be better for all parties if they learn how to prepare their own damn firewood so they can cook, bathe and not freeze to death in their little Shangri La home out in the mountains :lol:
As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink :D