Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Gonna need some help

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sound556 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:21 pm
Thanks for the info!

For the way i keep animals : ive always used synergy with the land for grazing to make sure you dont over or under graze your pastures/feedlots.
My idea was : harvesting rice and place mobile electric fencing for pigs with feeding them green food instead of grain. Giving them a better life style with a more emphasise on keeping them inform instead of 100% effiecent meat production aka factory pigs. before the pigs there will be meat chickens on 'chicken tractors' making sure there is natural tilling and the run away rice grains get caught and used.
The biggest hurdle you are likely to face keeping animals is neighbours, because most animals are raised indoors those farms smell bad, almost eye wateringly bad in summer. In our area and yours may be different, many people don't want an animal farm nearby, because of the smell, so before you get permission to start keeping animals the agriculture department (in our area) go around speaking to neighbours within a certain distance and any objections nix you keeping animals. This is how Chiba works, other prefectures may be different.

The way around this is to be well away from neighbours, not sure what the distance is but your local agricultural department can tell you, perhaps @DocDoesFarming knows. You'll need to have very stout fencing, you'll also need to set up disinfection points at the entrance to the land where the animals are kept, control access to the land and have a designated feed manager (most likely you), again this is how Chiba works other prefectures may be different.
Sound556 wrote:
For local biodiversity im planning on starting a small apiary aswell seeing there is no beekeepers nearby nor any effort to boost the native pollonators. (bumble bee or carpenter bee would be fantastic on every farm)
Good idea, bees are a great addition to any farm. Are you planning on western or Japanese bees ? You can buy western bees but will have to lure a wild swarm in if you want Japanese bees, if you got with A. Mellifera then you might need to set up something to defend against giant hornets. They can take out an entire hie in a few hours.
Sound556 wrote:
For the veggies what would be a nice starter? im not sure if i caught on the japanese preffered veggies but i know kabuchan and nasu are extremely populair. Also which fruit trees would be a wise investment? i was planning on some grapes but theres way too much snowfall for them to make it through and make it efficient.
Just take a tour around the local Michi No Eki and see what is selling there, there's a huge amount of regional difference so what sells here in Chiba may not work where you are but you probably can't go wrong selling kabu, carrots, potatoes, spinach or komatsuna but the profit margin will be quite low (because everyone else is growing them) and workload harvesting and packing quite high.
Sound556 wrote:
For the equipment sadly the father in law sold allot of stuff already and im gonna use my savings to pimp up the farm from its short comming and make it more effecient.

If you have pictures of the tractor let me know ( cant promise too soon seeing we have alot of costs comming up and i cant really calculate how much im needing to invest)
Wasn't totally serious there but if you really want it we can probably sort something out but transporting it to your proposed location might be very very expensive and to be honest you are probably better off visiting local second hand dealer or investing in a tiller at first and then deciding if you need a tractor. If you are getting into rice growing and want to do it with machinery then that is going to get expensive fast, you'll need a big tractor (not my little one), a planter, a combine harvester, possibly a drying tower and miller. Manual planting and harvesting is possible, that's what @Logman does I think but it's also quite hard work.
Sound556 wrote:
For the pricing this year im not concerned to make top dollar i will ofcourse try but seeing how rundown the place is im more focussed on resurrecting the native vedge and the checking and improving the soil numbers/needs. But how was your experience starting with those? did it run as imagined or allot of times you got the short end of the stick?
Kind regards,
Our soil was very poor but we solved it by throwing mountains of composted manure and biochar at it, along with oyster shell for minerals. It helped that we had free composted cow manure in exchange for teaching the farmer's granddaughter English once a week so if you can swing something like that it can reduce your costs.

Where we are growing through the winter is not a problem, it's cold and not much happens when the days are really short but we can cover or tunnel over veg however if you have heavy snow that might or might not restrict your growing season. You'll also need to factor in shelter for animals if there is heavy snow or winter temperatures are bitterly cold.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

I thought I posted this but it vanished into the ether:

Do the animal inspections etc. only apply when you are selling the birds or eggs or even if just for personal use?

I know it likely varies Pref. to Pref. but I was hoping to raise some ducks or quail and rabbits at some point.

Wait, would that include the fish in my pond? :think:

I am not including the neighbour problems in the above question because that applies wherever you are. :lol:

Sound556

Post by Sound556 »

The biggest hurdle you are likely to face keeping animals is neighbours, because most animals are raised indoors those farms smell bad, almost eye wateringly bad in summer. In our area and yours may be different, many people don't want an animal farm nearby, because of the smell, so before you get permission to start keeping animals the agriculture department (in our area) go around speaking to neighbours within a certain distance and any objections nix you keeping animals. This is how Chiba works, other prefectures may be different.

The way around this is to be well away from neighbours, not sure what the distance is but your local agricultural department can tell you, perhaps @DocDoesFarming knows. You'll need to have very stout fencing, you'll also need to set up disinfection points at the entrance to the land where the animals are kept, control access to the land and have a designated feed manager (most likely you), again this is how Chiba works other prefectures may be different.

- the animals im planning on keeping are mostly stout animals ( duroc x mangolose pigs) ( angus or higlander cows) and a 6 week chicken harvesting schedule so it dies out in winter time and i can restart chicken production when spring hits.
- The way i'm used to keep animals doesnt create allot of smell ofcourse you can smell pigs and cows etc but not eyewatering i preffer to do it more humane and keep the animals in their natural forms so no overfeeding etc.

Good idea, bees are a great addition to any farm. Are you planning on western or Japanese bees ? You can buy western bees but will have to lure a wild swarm in if you want Japanese bees, if you got with A. Mellifera then you might need to set up something to defend against giant hornets. They can take out an entire hie in a few hours.

- I have played around with bees for a long time and used to breed carnica and buckfast after doing my own research from queenbreeding and making the ''ideal'' honey producing colony i found out its just better to get the ''basterds'' a way nature is gonna revet your hives to anyway. these are more sturdy more protective and durable against disease and predators. ( if you have questions let me know!)

Just take a tour around the local Michi No Eki and see what is selling there, there's a huge amount of regional difference so what sells here in Chiba may not work where you are but you probably can't go wrong selling kabu, carrots, potatoes, spinach or komatsuna but the profit margin will be quite low (because everyone else is growing them) and workload harvesting and packing quite high.

- thanks! seeing the investment for potatos and carrots ( harvesting equipment etc) im gonna hold back on those. id might be good or fun to grow them as a rotating crop on veggie plots but for bigger operations id preffer to stay away.

-What would be your favourite planting crops be? not in means of money but on what goes well with the local soil you have.

Wasn't totally serious there but if you really want it we can probably sort something out but transporting it to your proposed location might be very very expensive and to be honest you are probably better off visiting local second hand dealer or investing in a tiller at first and then deciding if you need a tractor. If you are getting into rice growing and want to do it with machinery then that is going to get expensive fast, you'll need a big tractor (not my little one), a planter, a combine harvester, possibly a drying tower and miller. Manual planting and harvesting is possible, that's what @Logman does I think but it's also quite hard work.

- i have allot of old neighbours who are pretty stoked on me entering agriculture of rice which would give me an window to borrow some gear i recon.

Our soil was very poor but we solved it by throwing mountains of composted manure and biochar at it, along with oyster shell for minerals. It helped that we had free composted cow manure in exchange for teaching the farmer's granddaughter English once a week so if you can swing something like that it can reduce your costs.
- there was some mountain plots i would be interested in for silverculture of diffent kind of berries which trive on the low PH of the soil and some lumber collection ( if its allowed ofc for barn and house building)

Where we are growing through the winter is not a problem, it's cold and not much happens when the days are really short but we can cover or tunnel over veg however if you have heavy snow that might or might not restrict your growing season. You'll also need to factor in shelter for animals if there is heavy snow or winter temperatures are bitterly cold.

- The winter is mostly allot of snow like 3-4M yearly.

Thanks for the info!
Kind regards,

Sound556

Post by Sound556 »

Tora wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:53 am
Sound556 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks for the info!
Seeing the information about hunting costs and the exams that follow suite. I'd geuss ill start with a trapping license and see if i can do cullings/pest controll or meat hunts. I dont feel joy or pride from killing an animal without a reason behind it though i do enjoy ''the hunt' and the feeling of being part of the actual food chain. In NZ im hunting with dogs and a knife which is very efficient is such practise allowed in japan aswell? otherwise its gonna be trapping and shooting in a couple of years.
For a follow up question have you ever tried tanning or such? other wise when i settle in japan i'd love to take those hides of your hands.
Never met anyone crazy enough to try to run a boar down and go at it with a knife and don’t know what the law is on that. They are extremely big, strong, fast, smart, and aggressive when they want/need to be. The first and biggest one I took was likely 130-150 kg (maybe more?) of mean old boar. When we went to take care of that boar, my 70 year old neighbor showed up with a survival knife he bought decades ago and tried to talk me into going Rambo on the “BEAST” :lol:

Those boars are bad news if they get ahold of you and you are highly likely to enter the food chain in an unpleasant manner with one mistake or miscalculation. They can break leg bones with one bite and have been known to kill people.

This spring, about 100meters from my house, one young, smaller male attacked and bit 2 fingers off of an unlucky old lady out for her afternoon walk just cuz he was upset about the results of his recent disagreement with another boar (probably a territorial dispute or something like that). I caught him shortly after that about 10-20 meters from the scene of the attack. The struggle to subdue a pissed off boar who wants to kill an eat me is sufficient ‘thrill of the hunt’ for me. I do it for the meat and to keep my family safe. I’d rather go surfing.

I used to be interested in tanning- I’ve definitely got a steady supply of hardwood ash and a brain tanned hide is quite nice- but I don’t really need any more unprofitable, time consuming things on my plate to make Wifey shake her head in disbelief/disgust/regret right now.

I probably couldn’t send you any of my hides for the reason I mentioned in a previous post but I’m sure local hunters would be happy to have you take them off of their hands. Disposal of remains after butchering and animal is a serious problem.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Wasnt informed on badgers yet :lol: :lol: thats gonna be allot of fun :lol:

How did your neighbourhood react from when you started hunting? were they interested in the meat or did they never try it before?
Seeing some one hauling in boars so often would create an interesting piece for conversation :lol:
Bone meal does sound great for fert.
Thanks for answering!
kind regards,

Tora

Post by Tora »

Sound556 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:18 pm

Wasnt informed on badgers yet :lol: :lol: thats gonna be allot of fun :lol:

How did your neighbourhood react from when you started hunting? were they interested in the meat or did they never try it before?
Seeing some one hauling in boars so often would create an interesting piece for conversation :lol:
Bone meal does sound great for fert.
Thanks for answering!
kind regards,
Badgers are cute, bumbling animals. We miss the one who used to hang out around our house.

The neighbors didn’t really say anything other than unabashedly asking me to spend more of my time and money to catch the particular boars who were causing them to fret. And, I’m getting kind tired of wasting my time on people who don’t appreciate or need it. The few people who thanked me for making the effort to take care of everyone’s problem were definitely in the majority.

Most people have only had boar and deer meat that was really gamey they don’t seem too interested in it. That’s fine with me as I’d rather give it to someone who will appreciate it.

I don’t parade around with the animals I take but in the countryside it’s not uncommon to see people driving around with a boar in the back of their truck. Probably taking it to their buddies’ houses in an area with higher bounties on those animals :lol:

Logman

Post by Logman »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:20 am
If you are getting into rice growing and want to do it with machinery then that is going to get expensive fast, you'll need a big tractor (not my little one), a planter, a combine harvester, possibly a drying tower and miller. Manual planting and harvesting is possible, that's what @Logman does I think but it's also quite hard work.
Hah, I'm not insane. We have 5 rice fields, some big and some small. Total is 5 tan. Generally, you want to get 20 x 30kg sacks of husked rice from 1 tan (or tanbu). So you want to figure how many tanbu the 31 fields amount to and then you can calculate prospective yield. So if it's 30 tan you can expect at least 600 sacks of 30kg husked rice. We sell some rice to friends and acquaintances for 6000 yen per sack. In some areas it goes for more, especially if you hang it up for 2 weeks after cutting (tastes better). So if you could sell all the rice locally you'd be looking at 3.6m yen, which is great for what is essentially a part-time job. You'll be busy in May seeding thousands of rice trays and busy planting in June. Then busy again in September/October/November when you cut and hang up and then bag it all up. You will have to cut the grass around the edges once a month in July and August. If you have other income it would be a nice gig to be sure.

If you do everything perfectly and the weather co-operates you can expect 25 sacks per 1 tan. But if you're selling to the JA you might get a lot less than 6000 yen per sack. So you're going to need to work all that out.

As for machinery, you'll need a semi-decent tractor. A hobby tractor won't work in a rice field once flooded. I would ask around the neighbourhood. I can guarantee you'll find someone with a broken tractor that will part with it for free. That's what we did. It cost us 100,000 yen to repair and came with a 1m wide tiller on the back. Or is it 1.5m? Can't remember but I do know you can get wider tillers and you want the widest you can get as that cuts down on ploughing time. If you go to a second-hand machinery dealer you'll be paying around 400,000 yen for the smallest tractor that can plough a flood field - and you do have to plough it once more when flooded.

Then you'll need a planter. They run about 150,000 to 200,000 yen second-hand. Then you need a "binder", the machine that cuts the rice and binds it up. There are 2 types. The cheapest one just cuts one row and then there's the machine that cuts 2 rows. Obviously, you'll want the one that cuts 2 rows as it gets the job done twice as fast. They are about 80,000 to 90,000 yen second-hand. And then you'll want the machine they call the "harvester". It's a machine with tracks rather than wheels with a conveyor belt. You feed the bonded bundles of rice into it and it strips out the rice husks, deposits it in the sacks and shoots the rice straw out the back. They are at least 200,000 yen. We got a deal on all 3 machines for 400,000 yen and the dude that sold us the equipment is our go-to guy when we have any issues with anything. He also sorted out our broken tractor for 100,000 yen. You'll definitely want someone like that as there'll always be some issue that you probably can't fix at first. But pay attention and after a few years you'll be able to fix most things.

Get in touch with local pig/cow farmers to offload the rice straw. They'll pay you about 7000 yen for 1 field worth of straw. Or use it for your own animals.

I advise you to contact your local agricultural department. Mine is in the city hall. Many prefectures will provide grants or interest-free loans to new farmers. When you get here in July you'll have almost a year before the next rice season. Spend a few months surveying the land, work out the total size of the rice fields, calculate income, see exactly what you can do with pigs etc. Then build a business plan and present it to the agricultural department, bank etc. You might be pleasantly surprised about the amount of assistance on offer. It's a great opportunity and you should do well!

Sound556

Post by Sound556 »

First of all , Thanks for all the replies so far ive got to tap into allot of knowledge and experience thanks for that!
Second of all : happy holidays.

For the rice fields ive got to see how i can supply the banks for a grant seeing it might be also able to supply my savings instead of going for a loan on the information @Logman provided. Which would a great kick starter!

Do you guys have part time jobs next to farming? my misses keeps inisting that its more than normal to have another job. which i hopefully can do with ''bounty hunting'' :lol:

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Sound556 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm
Do you guys have part time jobs next to farming? my misses keeps inisting that its more than normal to have another job. which i hopefully can do with ''bounty hunting'' :lol:
In the winter time I'm building green houses and those steel netting support stuff for gapes and pears etc for a small company near me and I also help out with the apple farmers here during the picking season and I do rice collection/delivery during that period. I like having loads of jobs instead of doing the same thing day in day out.
During the spring/summer/autumn and I guess a bit of the winter period I'm usually busy with growing shit.
I know an apple farmer who started about the same time we did and has a part time job to help out with costs.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sound556 wrote:
Because of the climate here in Chiba we farm all year round. Growth does slow down once daylight hours drop below 10 hours a day but we try to have plants big enough to ride through that period and then get going again in mid January. So once the new year holiday is over we'll start seeding things for February harvesting and onwards, we've found it's not worth producing a lot in January as everyone is skint from christmas and new year.

Sound556

Post by Sound556 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:14 pm
Sound556 wrote:
In the winter time I'm building green houses and those steel netting support stuff for gapes and pears etc for a small company near me and I also help out with the apple farmers here during the picking season and I do rice collection/delivery during that period. I like having loads of jobs instead of doing the same thing day in day out.
During the spring/summer/autumn and I guess a bit of the winter period I'm usually busy with growing shit.
I know an apple farmer who started about the same time we did and has a part time job to help out with costs.
Out of curiosity : did you start with a full time job and lean into farming on went farming head on and took a part time job in the spare time?
Im having a hard time believing i can do farming with a full time job , but seeing most have a part time im keen on knowing how it started.
kind regards,