Gonna need some help

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Sound556
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:41 pm
Sound556 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm
Do you guys have part time jobs next to farming? my misses keeps inisting that its more than normal to have another job. which i hopefully can do with ''bounty hunting'' :lol:
Because of the climate here in Chiba we farm all year round. Growth does slow down once daylight hours drop below 10 hours a day but we try to have plants big enough to ride through that period and then get going again in mid January. So once the new year holiday is over we'll start seeding things for February harvesting and onwards, we've found it's not worth producing a lot in January as everyone is skint from christmas and new year.
after more rescearch , it shows we get hammered with snow so 12 months growing would be out of the picture for ordinairy crops , but ill have to look into silver culture and mushroom farming maybe they can offer a scapecoat for the snow season ( 3 months).
kind regards,

User avatar
DocDoesFarming
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 am
Location: 福島県
Has thanked: 847 times
Been thanked: 864 times

Re: Gonna need some help

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Sound556 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:46 pm
Out of curiosity : did you start with a full time job and lean into farming on went farming head on and took a part time job in the spare time?
Kind of started full time I guess, we had a year training (paid) at some farms and then we started, but we applied for a 5 year grant that would help us out until we got all sorted with what crops to concentrate on etc. Another couple of years of that money would be nice but oh well.

Well if you did half the year working and the other half growing that could work but you would need to rely on your partner's salary to help out during the farming period when you're getting things together and know what crops work for you.
Money money money, fucking hard to do farming without that stuff, lucky for us we had some equipment from the house we are renting to get us started.

Definitely look into training schemes and grants if you have any in your prefecture/area, you might not need the training but it helps getting to know the other farmers and building connections. Super handy, especially if they know someone with gear they want to get rid of or land that's available.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Sound556
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:40 pm
Sound556 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:46 pm
Out of curiosity : did you start with a full time job and lean into farming on went farming head on and took a part time job in the spare time?
Kind of started full time I guess, we had a year training (paid) at some farms and then we started, but we applied for a 5 year grant that would help us out until we got all sorted with what crops to concentrate on etc. Another couple of years of that money would be nice but oh well.

Well if you did half the year working and the other half growing that could work but you would need to rely on your partner's salary to help out during the farming period when you're getting things together and know what crops work for you.
Money money money, fucking hard to do farming without that stuff, lucky for us we had some equipment from the house we are renting to get us started.

Definitely look into training schemes and grants if you have any in your prefecture/area, you might not need the training but it helps getting to know the other farmers and building connections. Super handy, especially if they know someone with gear they want to get rid of or land that's available.
After gathering some more info , the city offers such ''internship' or guide for 3 years aswell but they pay 185.000 yen a month which is peanuts.
The house we are planning on living in is already family owned so the overheads are only water/gas/light. There some animal farms nearby looking for workers which would be a good option ( atleast better paying than the internship).

For support ive supported my wife through our NZ adventure for what i could use as barganing chip :lol:

as a question : was the internship a gain in knowledge or more of a smoothing into the community and regulations?
and the grant is that something the prefecture owns or a national body provides?

User avatar
DocDoesFarming
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 am
Location: 福島県
Has thanked: 847 times
Been thanked: 864 times

Gonna need some help

Post by DocDoesFarming »

18万円??
We only got 10 for the both of us, basically had to live on 10,000 a week plus I think they also covered our rent which is ridiculously cheap anyway.
And for 3 years! That's not bad, well not great but better than what we had.
Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:48 pm
as a question : was the internship a gain in knowledge or more of a smoothing into the community and regulations?
and the grant is that something the prefecture owns or a national body provides?
More knowledge than the other but it helped with us getting to know other farmers and once the knew we were also farming they usually came and visited to give advice or bring veggies.
The grant I believe was from the prefecture.

Another tip, get friendly with the people at our local city/town office.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Sound556
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:36 pm
18万円??
We only got 10 for the both of us, basically had to live on 10,000 a week plus I think they also covered our rent which is ridiculously cheap anyway.
And for 3 years! That's not bad, well not great but better than what we had.
Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:48 pm
as a question : was the internship a gain in knowledge or more of a smoothing into the community and regulations?
and the grant is that something the prefecture owns or a national body provides?
More knowledge than the other but it helped with us getting to know other farmers and once the knew we were also farming they usually came and visited to give advice or bring veggies.
The grant I believe was from the prefecture.

Another tip, get friendly with the people at our local city/town office.
Seems as a first step ive applied for the internship or program for the prefecture , now thats left is hoping for the best :D

As a side note ive seen i can manage the farm in the evening/afternoon gonna be a few long days comming years but it will be worth it in the end.

Any onther starting farmers in Niigata prefecture ? would love to have a yearn when im all good to go.

Sound556
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

@DocDoesFarming It seems the prefecture also does the grant stuff up in Niigata its a 1,5Milion yen a year for 5 years. Was it hard to get the grant or better question did you have to be farming before comming in contact with it?

@Logman I was looking at heavy machinery for the rice paddies farming , what tractor HP are you running ? ive got my eyes on kubota around 40 ish hp but dont wanna overspend on it and find out its too heavy for flooded ricefields.

kind regards,

User avatar
Logman
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:01 pm
Location: Miyazaki
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Gonna need some help

Post by Logman »

Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm
@Logman I was looking at heavy machinery for the rice paddies farming , what tractor HP are you running ? ive got my eyes on kubota around 40 ish hp but dont wanna overspend on it and find out its too heavy for flooded ricefields.
I think ours is 25 HP. Definitely not 40. It's the smallest tractor that works in a flooded rice paddy. A 40 would be ideal, especially if it's covered (ours isn't). No such thing as a tractor being too heavy. It's the opposite you need to worry about. Below 25 HP the engine just doesn't have the power and even ploughing a normal field takes ages as they so slow. What's the price tag on that 40?

User avatar
DocDoesFarming
Posts: 1380
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 am
Location: 福島県
Has thanked: 847 times
Been thanked: 864 times

Gonna need some help

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm
@DocDoesFarming It seems the prefecture also does the grant stuff up in Niigata its a 1,5Milion yen a year for 5 years. Was it hard to get the grant or better question did you have to be farming before comming in contact with it?
There was a lot of paperwork to get the grant and a few interviews, we had to make a plan of what our aims are and what we hope to achieve with each year. We also have to keep a daily diary of what we are doing which is fucking annoying but hey, they're giving us money.
Had to keep a diary also wen doing the training.

Although this is from Kanagawa it's the same requirement I beleve:

https://www-pref-kanagawa-jp.translate. ... x_tr_hl=ja

Basically you need to have completed a year's training or equivalent.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Sound556
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

Logman wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:54 pm
Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm
@Logman I was looking at heavy machinery for the rice paddies farming , what tractor HP are you running ? ive got my eyes on kubota around 40 ish hp but dont wanna overspend on it and find out its too heavy for flooded ricefields.
I think ours is 25 HP. Definitely not 40. It's the smallest tractor that works in a flooded rice paddy. A 40 would be ideal, especially if it's covered (ours isn't). No such thing as a tractor being too heavy. It's the opposite you need to worry about. Below 25 HP the engine just doesn't have the power and even ploughing a normal field takes ages as they so slow. What's the price tag on that 40?
Its the Slugger ( SL45HSPQ) dealer new its around 6m yen with taxes included . but a town over theres one with 150k working hours ( 2M yen)on the engine but im inquiring on the costs of a engine refurbushing if it brakes down ofc. i also snooped up a tiller and planter which need some welding work.
Its hard to decide atm since im not actualy there to see the dmg .

Sound556
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:23 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 am
Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm
@DocDoesFarming It seems the prefecture also does the grant stuff up in Niigata its a 1,5Milion yen a year for 5 years. Was it hard to get the grant or better question did you have to be farming before comming in contact with it?
There was a lot of paperwork to get the grant and a few interviews, we had to make a plan of what our aims are and what we hope to achieve with each year. We also have to keep a daily diary of what we are doing which is fucking annoying but hey, they're giving us money.
Had to keep a diary also wen doing the training.

Although this is from Kanagawa it's the same requirement I beleve:

https://www-pref-kanagawa-jp.translate. ... x_tr_hl=ja

Basically you need to have completed a year's training or equivalent.
Sweet sounds great! they offer a start-up farm package and a funding when you started. Hopefully i can jump the hoops and get into that :lol: