Gonna need some help

Post by Logman »

Sound556 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 pm
Logman wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:54 pm
Sound556 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm
@Logman I was looking at heavy machinery for the rice paddies farming , what tractor HP are you running ? ive got my eyes on kubota around 40 ish hp but dont wanna overspend on it and find out its too heavy for flooded ricefields.
I think ours is 25 HP. Definitely not 40. It's the smallest tractor that works in a flooded rice paddy. A 40 would be ideal, especially if it's covered (ours isn't). No such thing as a tractor being too heavy. It's the opposite you need to worry about. Below 25 HP the engine just doesn't have the power and even ploughing a normal field takes ages as they so slow. What's the price tag on that 40?
Its the Slugger ( SL45HSPQ) dealer new its around 6m yen with taxes included . but a town over theres one with 150k working hours ( 2M yen)on the engine but im inquiring on the costs of a engine refurbushing if it brakes down ofc. i also snooped up a tiller and planter which need some welding work.
Its hard to decide atm since im not actualy there to see the dmg .
Sounds like a fantastic deal to be honest.

Sound556

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

Logman wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:45 pm
Sound556 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 pm
Logman wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:54 pm

I think ours is 25 HP. Definitely not 40. It's the smallest tractor that works in a flooded rice paddy. A 40 would be ideal, especially if it's covered (ours isn't). No such thing as a tractor being too heavy. It's the opposite you need to worry about. Below 25 HP the engine just doesn't have the power and even ploughing a normal field takes ages as they so slow. What's the price tag on that 40?
Its the Slugger ( SL45HSPQ) dealer new its around 6m yen with taxes included . but a town over theres one with 150k working hours ( 2M yen)on the engine but im inquiring on the costs of a engine refurbushing if it brakes down ofc. i also snooped up a tiller and planter which need some welding work.
Its hard to decide atm since im not actualy there to see the dmg .
Sounds like a fantastic deal to be honest.
Yeah looking back on it and discussing it with my SO its seems pretty good , the neighbourhood also has a ''harvester program'' where u can buy in for 1/4 of a harvester and you kinda share it with 4 other farmers in harvesting season.

On another note if i can pick your brains @Logman have you ever thought about winter barley? im looking at options going from winterbarley to a quick till and prep for rice in the season. it shouldnt cross each other but its gonna be one hell of a busy time.

Logman

Gonna need some help

Post by Logman »

I grew winter wheat last year as an experiment but not in one of the rice fields. It's a big field we have about 15 minutes drive away. I was extremely disappointed in the amount of wheat berries I got out of it. If that field was a rice field it would have yielded at least 30 sacks. I only got 5. Seemed like more hassle than it was worth. Barley might work in a rice field but many of them get easily waterlogged when it rains. We tried to grow onions in a rice field last year but the bad drainage meant it was a fail.

Sound556

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

Logman wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:21 pm
I grew winter wheat last year as an experiment but not in one of the rice fields. It's a big field we have about 15 minutes drive away. I was extremely disappointed in the amount of wheat berries I got out of it. If that field was a rice field it would have yielded at least 30 sacks. I only got 5. Seemed like more hassle than it was worth. Barley might work in a rice field but many of them get easily waterlogged when it rains. We tried to grow onions in a rice field last year but the bad drainage meant it was a fail.
Have you tried buckwheat? i read about it needing less soil minerals etc. its quite a hardy grain aswell and they use it in sobanoodles. Uses the same equipment as normal grain or barley for harvesting and planting.

Logman

Gonna need some help

Post by Logman »

Sound556 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:32 pm
Have you tried buckwheat? i read about it needing less soil minerals etc. its quite a hardy grain aswell and they use it in sobanoodles. Uses the same equipment as normal grain or barley for harvesting and planting.
I haven't tried it. And I'm sure if I bought the seed from the JA it would cost an arm and a leg. The wheat I got from a friend so there was no cost there. The JA wanted 12,000 and the minimum amount was way more than I needed. I just fed it all to my chickens. They loved it.

Sound556

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

Logman wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:49 pm
Sound556 wrote:
I haven't tried it. And I'm sure if I bought the seed from the JA it would cost an arm and a leg. The wheat I got from a friend so there was no cost there. The JA wanted 12,000 and the minimum amount was way more than I needed. I just fed it all to my chickens. They loved it.
Damn thats 12.000 dollars or yen?

Logman

Gonna need some help

Post by Logman »

Sound556 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:51 pm
Logman wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:49 pm
Sound556 wrote:
Damn thats 12.000 dollars or yen?
12000 yen. :lol:

Sound556

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

I was gonna say that would be quite the investment :lol:

Sound556

Gonna need some help

Post by Sound556 »

@DocDoesFarming i've found the first hurdle the commity thinks my japanese isnt on par and thinks my wife is typing the mails :lol: im currenctly on N4 ( middle N3) with japanese reading and writing speach is more than enough. what nlpjt lvl would you say was the lvl needed for the training program?

DocDoesFarming

Gonna need some help

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Sound556 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:40 am
@DocDoesFarming i've found the first hurdle the commity thinks my japanese isnt on par and thinks my wife is typing the mails :lol: im currenctly on N4 ( middle N3) with japanese reading and writing speach is more than enough. what nlpjt lvl would you say was the lvl needed for the training program?
As long as you can understand what they ask of you I think that level should be fine to be honest, my language skills were lower when I started my training and it was a bit difficult understanding some people but I think that was the countryside accents, i only just managed to get to used to the language in Tokyo before moving.
Not a lot of talking is required, you basically slave away on the farm and take in how people are doing things unless you want to go in massive depth with questions.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.