Hello from just across the Tone River in Ibaraki

Please introduce yourself
YoshiYalie

Post by YoshiYalie »

Hi everyone

My name is Yoshi,

I use to live in Florida, USA

Housing has turned for the worse in Florida where I needed to make $30,000 USD just to live in the house that I grew up in on the Space Coast. (45 mins south of NASA) This was Property Tax, Home and Auto Insurance, Utilities, and other fees.

I sat down with my wife, who is a Japanese National living in the States for a little over a year.

I crunched the numbers about 6-7 times and we came to the conclusion to move back to Japan.

I sold my house at an inflated price of $750,000 (I bought it from my parents for $250,000) and have different sources of incoming in, Stateside.

Currently living in Ibaraki, 1 hour from Tokyo. 10 min bike ride into Chiba.

We are currently looking at an Akiya thats next door to the in laws.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hello from just across the Tone River in Ibaraki

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to the forum Yoshi and thank you for joining.

Mention of the space coast brings back memories. My aunt and uncle used to send my brother and I astronaut ice cream every year for christmas and we used to really look forward to it, was delighted to find out you can buy is at JAXA in Tsukuba :lol:

If you get on with your in laws then having them close by is really nice, Mrs Nouka's parents will be coming over later with a whole lot of homemade osechi that we'll have for lunch and dinner. Certainly helps making connections in the local area.

Anyway, wish you the best of luck with the akiya you are looking at and hope 2024 is a good one for you.

Logman

Re: Hello from just across the Tone River in Ibaraki

Post by Logman »

Welcome Yoshi. :D

That $500k profit is going to go a long way here. You could spend 50 grand on renovating that akiya and have a palace in the countryside. I live next door to my in-laws and my sister-in-law. I love being close to my adopted family and my in-laws loved having 3 grandkids next door.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

Welcome Yoshi!

I hope it all works out for you. I am sure your inlaws will be ecstatic to have you and the grand kids close.

YoshiYalie

Post by YoshiYalie »

Thats what I hope. In Laws seem like decent people and having them around the kids allows us to have extra hands. Another plus they are retired and on pension so they dont have much to do.

My plans are

Trapping

Wild Boar
Deer

Raising

30+ Chickens (more on the laying eggs side but also to be dispatched and eaten)
Jumbo Quail (for eggs and dispatched / eaten)
Rabbits (hopefully New Zealands) (for Rabbit Ramen / Eaten)
2-3 Dwarf goats "pets" for weeding maybe more if the town office allows it.
Turkeys (Experimental)

Growing

Potatoes (something close to Idaho type)
Green Beans
Lettuce
Cucumbers (for western style pickles)
White Onions
Green Onions
Chive
Leek
Garlic
Thai Basil
Thai Red Pepper
Jalapenos
Habaneros
Blueberries
Raspberries
Loquat
Kumquat
Chestnuts (already growing on the property)

There is an abandon rice field that has trees, shrubs, bushes growing in it behind the house. I "might" want to try my hand in rice cultivation. I feel like that field might go for a low price since it hasnt been touched in a couple decades. it still has all the water pumping system there as well.

This is the Akiya Im looking at as of now. Its literally 3 meters from the in laws. The house the in laws live in is more modern maybe built in the 90s

theres a large "mound" (my wife called it a mountain?) i think its all rock to the side of the house but theres bamboo growing up there. I think i might cut down the bamboo and use a woodchipper to mulch it down. build a platform on top of it and put a water reservoir up there. harvest as much rain water as possible, filter it, pump it up to the tank and use gravity to bring it back down.

the house itself has no shower / bath. I think one of the "sheds" is a shower / bath. Ill probably have a room built just to have an attached shower / bath room.

Pull all the metal sheathing, check the studs, using plywood with waterproof side, and replace with new metal sheathing. from the inside maybe use Styrofoam insulation board. Flash Tape / Liquid Flash all seams. Trying to remodel into an airtight house

Inside, Im tearing out all the Tatami mat and rebuilding the floor to be more airtight. replacing it with wood (not sure what yet)

Build a nice green house (not the vinyl sheeting ones they have here) with upcycled windows

Of course Solar as well

You may be thinking, Why such a small place. I dont like big. "big" gets you into trouble, big means more $$$$$ for upkeep. I like a simple life where I dont spend that much money. Plus I dont want to work the grind anymore. I want to build up my property where Im sustainable / open up a small business (hopefully immigration understands that)

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Get a good electric fence energiser for your animals, there's a link somewhere in the chickens thread to a Hokkaido company that sells Stafix energisers. They aren't cheap but are good, then build a little shelter raised up off the ground to keep the sun and rain off it.

Also contact the local animal husbandry centre for your birds, having them onside right from the get go makes things a lot easier later on. They are generally helpful and positive and will keep you up to date if there are any outbreaks in your local area so you can take precautions. Buy yourself some white rubber boots and swear blind you only wear those when entering the bird's area, that seems to impress them no end, seems like a silly thing but they love it.

Are Idaho potatoes a particular type ? The closest I've probably come is when Mickey D's had the Idaho burger which was probably the best burger they ever produced :lol:. Yes, yes and low bar I know but it was quite good for them :roll:

The house should be an interesting project, at least the toilet isn't an old style hole in the ground type :D

YoshiYalie

Post by YoshiYalie »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:51 am
Get a good electric fence energiser for your animals, there's a link somewhere in the chickens thread to a Hokkaido company that sells Stafix energisers. They aren't cheap but are good, then build a little shelter raised up off the ground to keep the sun and rain off it.

Also contact the local animal husbandry centre for your birds, having them onside right from the get go makes things a lot easier later on. They are generally helpful and positive and will keep you up to date if there are any outbreaks in your local area so you can take precautions. Buy yourself some white rubber boots and swear blind you only wear those when entering the bird's area, that seems to impress them no end, seems like a silly thing but they love it.

Are Idaho potatoes a particular type ? The closest I've probably come is when Mickey D's had the Idaho burger which was probably the best burger they ever produced :lol:. Yes, yes and low bar I know but it was quite good for them :roll:

The house should be an interesting project, at least the toilet isn't an old style hole in the ground type :D
thanks for the recommendations. ill write them down and get some white rubber boots from workman (if they have it)

I just like idaho potatoes because i like to just sit down and eat a huge potato with butter, sour cream, shredded cheese on top lol.

most of the potatoes ive seen here are kinda small.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

YoshiYalie wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:38 pm
thanks for the recommendations. ill write them down and get some white rubber boots from workman (if they have it)

I just like idaho potatoes because i like to just sit down and eat a huge potato with butter, sour cream, shredded cheese on top lol.

most of the potatoes ive seen here are kinda small.
If you are growing potatoes in kanto then the rainy season will probably mean growing smaller spuds than you might be used to. There aren't many that can survive through the rainy season, Chelsea are probably the most likely to go through a short rainy season and carry on after but even then it's touch and go.