Permaculture spam

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Sound556

Permaculture spam

Post by Sound556 »

Hi ,
Back in the NL and here in NZ we run a few permaculture are there any populair you guys/girls are running? maybe we can crack some ideas

Back in NL : blueberry and ducks ( abacot ranger , aylesbury and rouen) the ducks devour small pests and herbs/weeds you dont want while leaving the fruit bush alone ( note around harvest you have to seperate them)

Fruit ochards ( need to be trees with their base covered in chickenwhire or an protective barrier for bark protection) we run sheep/pigs/jersey cows.
They feed off the grass under the trees and do some natural fert. Its nice to have but you need to supplie additional feed. kunekune pigs are great for this they dont dig that much and the tree's shade makes that the pigs dont feel like creating whallows.

An waste idea ive been tinkering with : aquapontics with welshcatfish or crayfish. They eat any waste produce ( crayfish are like water pigs in my opinion) and have a very impressive protein conversion cat fish get around 72-76% as i remember. Catfish on its self isnt any good but who can say no to fish and chips :lol:

tataminodani

Permaculture spam

Post by tataminodani »

Nice ideas!

I was going to try rabbits + koi + mulberries + duck weed/water hyacinth

Rabbits eat the mulberry leaves, koi eat the rabbit poop, koi waste feeds duck weed and hyacinth (separate pond) which then gets composted and fed to the mulberries.

I like the ducks and blueberry one and may try it in the future once established.

Sound556

Permaculture spam

Post by Sound556 »

tataminodani wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:38 pm
Nice ideas!

I was going to try rabbits + koi + mulberries + duck weed/water hyacinth

Rabbits eat the mulberry leaves, koi eat the rabbit poop, koi waste feeds duck weed and hyacinth (separate pond) which then gets composted and fed to the mulberries.

I like the ducks and blueberry one and may try it in the future once established.
Fun trick with ducks is that you can learn them where to lay eggs and sleep by introducing a water source ( a waterbad in their sleeping area) and they will kinda mind map it like chickens do roosting pens.

Just make sure they dont find another watering hole or the process will be ruined :lol: