Hi from the UK

Please introduce yourself
okaasan

Hi from the UK

Post by okaasan »

Hello all. Having lurked here for a couple of years I've taken the plunge and signed up to be a member.
Having spent many years living in Japan we (J husband, eldest child and I) moved to the UK, many years and 2 more children later and we are ready to return to a slow and simple Japan life. I'd like to ask members for any advice about how easy it is to get a spouse visa if I'm coming (with kids) initially alone and not with husband. Does anyone have any experience of this? Many thanks.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hi from the UK

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Welcome to the forum Okaasan and thank you so much for taking the time to join our little community. We really do appreciate that.

I got my spouse visa from the Japanese embassy in London before coming here but I was travelling with my wife. However I don't remember having to prove we were travelling together, I think the only thing we had to prove was we were married. Things may have changed since then but I'm guessing they assumed we would be travelling together, at that time we didn't have to show airline tickets or anything like that either. Probably worth giving them a call, maybe without being too specific just saying your husband will be travelling shortly after you as he has some things to wrap up or some other suitably vague reasons.

What's your plan once you get here or is it more wait and see what crops up

czaujapman

Hi from the UK

Post by czaujapman »

Welcome to the forums Okaasan!
I got my spouse visa in March 2022. My wife is Japanese and we all relocated from Australia together at the same time.

It's generally easier if the Japanese spouse is already in Japan and you come after, less paperwork I suppose. Another Aussie I know got his initial spouse visa for 3 full years straightaway - because his wife moved to Japan prior to him and lined up all the documents for him here. I only got spouse visa initially for 1 year, renewed for another year in Feb 2023 and now I finally got it for 3 years and can apply for PR. I remember I needed a "guarantor" currently living in Japan, which was my wife's sister, this was because spouse was living with me in Australia and not in Japan already. Those were pandemic years so rules may have changed, loosened if anything - god knows this country needs people - there's a shortage of humans here. :D

Getting the visa is not hard, you just have to line up all the documentation make an appointment at the embassy and that's it. Another thing I was told just last week by a friend, he had to apply through migration agent from Melbourne. Best to check with Japanese consulate in UK, they should be able to help.

Good luck!
“My technique is don’t believe anything. If you believe in something, you are automatically precluded from believing its opposite.” ― Terence McKenna

DocDoesFarming

Hi from the UK

Post by DocDoesFarming »

If you have the money, a scrivener will help you with all the paperwork for a spous visa. Will probably make things way easier for you.

https://administrativescriveneryoshiko. ... B-contact/

This is who I used, she helped sort out my PR also.
Ignore the shit looking website, that's just a Japanese thing.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

okaasan

Hi from the UK

Post by okaasan »

Many thanks for the responses. Is it possible to reply to each response individually? or can I only reply to all?

DocDoesFarming

Hi from the UK

Post by DocDoesFarming »

If you do just a regular reply then highlight the text or messages below you want to reply to then hit the quote bubble button their post will be added to your message.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hi from the UK

Post by Zasso Nouka »

okaasan wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:50 am
Many thanks for the responses. Is it possible to reply to each response individually? or can I only reply to all?
Whichever works best for you.

Like @DocDoesFarming says if you want to reply to all in one post hit the "Reply with quote" button on the first post you want to reply to then put in a few blank lines and hit the same button in the next post you'd like to reply to.

okaasan

Hi from the UK

Post by okaasan »

Thanks for the link,I'm thinking this might be what I need to do as we don't have family we could ask in Japan.
I don't suppose you recall how much she charged do you? Thanking you.

DocDoesFarming

Hi from the UK

Post by DocDoesFarming »

For PR it was around 250,000 yen but she charges on a case by case basis.
Not cheap but way less stressful and I didn't have to go back and forth to the immigration office or fill out any forms etc.

Tora

Hi from the UK

Post by Tora »

Welcome to the group Okaasan.

I got my spouse visa years ago while living in Japan with my wife. I recall it being much less painless than I expected but we were both gainfully employed here at the time. We did all the paperwork ourselves.

I’d get in touch with the local embassy or consulate and tell them what you want to do. If you insist on telling them your husband will follow after, I’d make sure you give a valid by Japanese standards reason like work. I don’t see how it would be too significant but read the small print.

It’s pretty common for families to move abroad with workers who get transferred around. If Your situation is basically something like that in the eyes of the people handling your application, it will be easier for them to process it mentally and bureaucratically.

Also keep in mind that Japan wants more younger people to move to Japan to offset the dwindling population, so there is a motivation for them to help and encourage you (a little bit at least) in the process.

Good luck