Hello

Please introduce yourself
Tbouchertx

Hello

Post by Tbouchertx »

Hello,
This is Tom in Texas, USA. I was a military member in Japan for almost 4 years in the late 80's-1990. I absolutely loved my time in the Kanto Plain area. I was fortunate enough to return once for an interview around 2013, but nothing materialized.

I truly loved my time in the country. I love the food, culture, simplicity, language (which I am working on) to name a few. As I approach my retirement here in the USA; I am looking at splitting the year between my home in Texas and a home/apartment in Japan. My wife is very interested in spending some time and exploring as well. I yearn for a simpler life in a rural area. The goal is to end up in Rural Japan within the next 4 to 5 years and enjoy life.

I know there are many hurdles and so much research to complete. I was searching and found this site. The title and message boards are what I am looking for, so I figured, why not join, research, question and get to know people.

I am looking forward to the future!

Thanks all,
Tom

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Thanks Tom and welcome to the forum, we really do appreciate you taking the time to sign up.

Sounds like quite a nice idea to be able to split your time between Texas and Japan. We have a friend here that visited Texas and was so taken in by it he totally changed his life to run a Texas BBQ business now and he really loves it. Not sure how it compares to your style BBQ's but he seems quite popular and folk like it.

It's always a good idea to research something like this as you are, being prepared helps avoid a lot of the pitfalls others might get trapped by and if there's anything we can help with please do feel free to ask.

Tbouchertx

Hello

Post by Tbouchertx »

Thank you for the kind words.

I am willing to bet your friend makes some marvelous and delicious BBQ. One of my favorite foods to make.

I was looking through information on other websites in reference to visas and what not. I am actually looking at retiring early from an Airline career here in the United States and applying to one of the Japanese ones in an effort to help facilitate the visa and long-term stays.

Also having fun learning a language! People will look at me as I practice my hiragana in my notebook or doing my flashcards and any number of other things. They kind of scratch their heads :-).

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Hello

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Tbouchertx wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:39 am
I am willing to bet your friend makes some marvelous and delicious BBQ. One of my favorite foods to make.
His BBQ is pretty good and always popular at events :D

Tbouchertx wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:39 am
I was looking through information on other websites in reference to visas and what not. I am actually looking at retiring early from an Airline career here in the United States and applying to one of the Japanese ones in an effort to help facilitate the visa and long-term stays.

Also having fun learning a language! People will look at me as I practice my hiragana in my notebook or doing my flashcards and any number of other things. They kind of scratch their heads :-).
That should get you over the visa hurdle and if you can master the language (I imagine you'll need to have a fairly high level to work in the airline industry) then you should be golden. Keep on practicing, hiragana and katakana aren't too hard but kanji can be a real head scratcher :oops:

Tbouchertx

Hello

Post by Tbouchertx »

Nice feedback in reference to the government visa side of things.

Once I make it over there I’ll know a Texas treat that people will like! Some good brisket.