Seed sowing thread for 2024

Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Looks like we might have an early spring so what are other folks sowing now ?

We're making a small start with somewhat hardy things like stick broccoli, mini cauliflower, Italian parsley, various lettuce, zucchini outdoors in tunnels inside a vinyl house, and a lot of nasu indoors. Outdoors under fleece we've started komatsuna, spinach, mâche, kabu and carrots.

Once february gets under way we'll start basil, climbing beans, gherkin, cucumbers, sweet peppers, hiyuna. Also clearing the areas for potatoes (which will go in end of february) and Jerusalem artichokes (will go in early march).

What are other folks planting now or soon ?

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

I just put some asparagus roots and wild strawberry seedlings in the ground. I also planted some pumpkin seeds. I was tempted to put the mini greenhouses on top of the pumpkins but it's been so hot on and off that I am worried they will fry then freeze then fry.

I was in a T-shirt again yesterday when I was clearing some weeds and prepping beds yesterday.

I will be planting some seed "potatoes" soon-ish: Nagaimo, murusaki yamaimo/Ube, Cassava, yakon, sweet potatoes and sunchokes. I need to get some trellis in place first though for the yamaimo at least.

Also have a bunch of tree saplings waiting to go in too.

Moringa seeds that I am thinking to start soon.

I had some seabuckthorn seedlings going on inside in a spare room but then we had a hot/cold/hot/cold snap and they all literally fell over and snapped off. I haven't had much luck with seeds. :doh:

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Can be frustrating at times with the sudden swings in weather, am currently having to run out and lift up tunnel sides when in the morning when it's hot and lower them in the evening myself :lol:

Not sure about pumpkins but the local watermelon farmers are all preparing their low tunnels for planting soon so could well be the right time, might risk a few kabocha seeds ourselves to see if a really early planting pays off.

Good luck with the seed imo, we'll probably wait for late february but have noticed the spuds we are digging up for sale have growth going on in their eyes so maybe potatoes sense this year is an early start.

tataminodani

Post by tataminodani »

by "soon" I meant the end of feb/start of March.

I got my big box of seeds out over the weekend and started dividing them up into now, late feb and after last frost groups.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

I've been browsing E Taneya for seeds to grow this year :drool:

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:39 pm
Can be frustrating at times with the sudden swings in weather, am currently having to run out and lift up tunnel sides when in the morning when it's hot and lower them in the evening myself :lol:

Not sure about pumpkins but the local watermelon farmers are all preparing their low tunnels for planting soon so could well be the right time, might risk a few kabocha seeds ourselves to see if a really early planting pays off.

Good luck with the seed imo, we'll probably wait for late february but have noticed the spuds we are digging up for sale have growth going on in their eyes so maybe potatoes sense this year is an early start.
I bet you would be shocked to see one of these on the screen of your window... I was

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

gonbechan wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:09 pm
I bet you would be shocked to see one of these on the screen of your window... I was
They hide in our firewood and wake up when you bring them in the warm, luckily Cat-chan likes to eat them :lol:

Logman

Post by Logman »

I pretty much plant everything in February. Will do the usual fare. Peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, pumpkin, watermelon, potatoes, sweetcorn, cucumbers, peas and beans. Might have missed a few things.

Down here in Miyazaki, I grow broccoli, cauliflower, hakusai, lettuce, negi, spinach, pak choi, daikon, komatsuna, mizuna and takana all through the winter. However, even though they were tunneled most of the cauliflower didn't make it. Just too many consecutively freezing nights. Next year I'll make sure I plant them only in the greenhouse (polytunnel). This year it's full of daikon.

Logman

Post by Logman »

So far in February I have planted:

100 x potatoes
25 x cherry tomatoes (germinated)
25 x medium-sized tomatoes (germinated)
25 x big tomatoes (germinated)
25 x cucumber (germinated)
8 x pumpkin (germinating now, will do more later)
25 x eggplant (germinating now)
75 x sweetcorn (half germinated so far)
48 x endou mame (germinating now)
128 x green peas (overkill but I just did the whole pack)
15 x green pepper
25 x "paprika"
50 x red and yellow pepper seeds from store bought ones as an experiment
25 x kohlrabi (first time growing these)
48 x ingen mame

I'm still seeding hakusai, cabbage, broccoli and pak choi. Probably one more seeding of komatsuna, mizuna and takana. Lots of lettuce too. I grow carrots all through the winter and seeded some more a few weeks ago just in time for all the rain we just got so lots of good germination there.

Left to do: watermelons, habanero peppers, herbs. This year I'm doing all the herbs in containers as the herb patch always gets away from me.

Oh yea, pinto beans. I just ordered some from Kobe Spice. First time for that too.

Don't think I've missed anything. If anyone has recommendations for anything not on this list please let me know. :D

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's a nice broad range of seeds you've got going man. Are you growing okahijiki or zucchini and which varieties of outdoor tomatoes are you growing ?

I'm really curious now, do Japanese cucumber varieties need pollinating ? I've always assumed that cucurbits need pollinating like zucchini, pumpkin, etc, etc but have been told by several people now they don't and unless you want seed it's not necessary or even desired. Our gherkins are gown inside a vinyl house with no pollinators and they don't even have male flowers and our neighbours grow cucumbers inside their vinyl house without any bees but maybe some get inside or maybe they don't need pollination.