Founder
Founder

Something is killing my chickens

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:23 pm
hahahahahahahaha
thats one of my favorite youtube channels
I thought the seagull died or pissed off but i saw about a month ago it came back.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Logman wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:21 pm
That sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking I can net half the area and put up a couple of bird tables in the other half. Already have a simple plan in my head how to make them (out of a post, plywood and a few pieces of wood).
You can also get hold of black chickens of any type.. apparently keeping them fools some birds of prey that crows live with your chickens.
https://ukokkei.com/item/af-30/

Logman

Post by Logman »

I saw the hawk. It flew overhead after I let the chickens out and they definitely noticed too. Looks like a young sashiba but I'm no expert. Was surprised at how small it was. Way smaller than the common black kite (tobi).

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

@DocDoesFarming that is a really funny video man. Maybe @Logman can encourage seagulls to help protect your chickens, they have a feisty attitude so that might work. Now if one of the crows spots me working out doors will perch above and give a kind of gurgling laugh. the other one is a bit more hesitant but both will swoop down once there is food on the ground and you've backed off about 8 ~ 10 metres. Apparently crows might start bringing you presents and I heard of one chap that trained them to bring small change they found by leaving small coins when he fed them.

Here's the netting and reflective tape we use to cover the chickens area.

There are 50 metre rolls on Rakuten if none of your local home centres stock it.

Logman

Post by Logman »

Thanks for the tip. I just dropped $50 on Ebay for a 50'x50' bird netting (with shipping). That will cover half the area. I'll do the other half with that cucumber netting. The area I have fenced off is 18m wide so that will work.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

The reflective 'tape' makes it a lot more visible to birds and you can pick it up from most home centres in the agricultural section for detering pests. Either weave it through the netting at random intervals or tie some onto the netting so it flutters in the wind.

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

gonbechan wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:00 pm
hahahahahahahaha
thats one of my favorite youtube channels
I thought the seagull died or pissed off but i saw about a month ago it came back.
It's a great series.
I read somewhere that Seagulls have the same intelligence as Crows minus the fear of humans or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/@CROWDIARY

Looks like another way to get a crow bro is to rescue an injured one.
Zasso Nouka wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:29 pm
Apparently crows might start bringing you presents and I heard of one chap that trained them to bring small change they found by leaving small coins when he fed them.
Should be leaving out large notes or wallets and training it to attack people entering shops.
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:33 am

Should be leaving out large notes or wallets and training it to attack people entering shops.
Good start of a plan but you have to actually think strategically.. crows in shops, not such a good thing, but if you can train them to pinch banknotes from ppl paying for their parking at parking lots.
There will be good access for your crows, many good vantage points for them to wait for targets.

If there are no parking lots in your vicinity.. there might be vending machine areas for truckers where they sell entertainment for the long and lonely road, if you get what I mean.
These items also require banknotes .. and your crows should have an easier time ambushing their targets, because usually they have to enter a little hidden enclosure that is still open to the sky ..

DocDoesFarming

Post by DocDoesFarming »

Some very good points and ideas and that's one grotty looking store!

Perhaps another good spot would be any sort of festival that have stalls selling goods. Or maybe train a few squadrons to attack the security dudes carrying money from the shops. Do they wear eye protection? Possibly, but I don't think they're wearing '50 birds shitting in your face' masks!!!
I write a load of bollocks, don't take me seriously.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

That's a great idea training them to go for customers looking for ahem, 'adult entertainment'. No one is going to admit that's where they got mugged :lol: