Finding land, working a small plot or anything else countryside related
gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Something is killing my chickens

Post by gonbechan »

DocDoesFarming wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:07 pm
Some very good points and ideas and that's one grotty looking store!
I think you don't get out enough lol.
The whole country is dotted with little dens of iniquity like that. Some slightly better looking, some even worse.
IMHO one of these would make a great starting point for a movie..
Imagine

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

@gonbechan says the quickest way to get crows coming is to feed them at the same time every day but they soon learn they don't have to hang around after feeding so we do it at random times. That way they check back regularly through the day and provide more protection.

Sound556

Post by Sound556 »

We used to have a small family of stoats living nearby , they were master assasins leaving little to no trace except eating the eyes ( always juck) and eating but tiny bits and pieces. corpses would always lay in a very ''peacefull'' maner like they just dropped dead on the spot no rustled feathers no big changes . loads of noice though when i was home and the buggers were going to town.
they also managed to jump through normal chicken fencing like its nothing.

gonbechan
Founder
Founder

Post by gonbechan »

Zasso Nouka wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:07 pm
@gonbechan says the quickest way to get crows coming is to feed them at the same time every day but they soon learn they don't have to hang around after feeding so we do it at random times. That way they check back regularly through the day and provide more protection.
That probably is the best way for the long run, but I think the initial getting them to move in and love you needs to be a little more structured.

Logman

Post by Logman »

I found an 18mx18m net at the local Komeri. I dug six deep holes and placed a 3m bamboo post in each one and tamped down the earth around them. They feel pretty solid. Going to put the net up tomorrow. This covers half the area and will do the other half when the other net comes in. Will definitely need to thread some silver tape in there as I'm sure the hawk won't see the net.

Zasso Nouka
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasso Nouka »

Sound556 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:57 pm
We used to have a small family of stoats living nearby , they were master assasins leaving little to no trace except eating the eyes ( always juck) and eating but tiny bits and pieces. corpses would always lay in a very ''peacefull'' maner like they just dropped dead on the spot no rustled feathers no big changes . loads of noice though when i was home and the buggers were going to town.
they also managed to jump through normal chicken fencing like its nothing.
Nothing quite like 10,000v to deter curious minds :lol:, they sniff that wire just the once and when their wet nose makes contact you've deterred them for life :dance:
gonbechan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:22 pm
That probably is the best way for the long run, but I think the initial getting them to move in and love you needs to be a little more structured.
You are probably right but we've not done bad with the random approach and it didn't take them long to be coming regularly. Also we didn't have to worry about upsetting their schedule going from a regular time to random time as they were already used to check several times a day. It probably depends on what the aim of having them around is for, we wanted them covering the chickens as much as possible so planned that right from the start.
Logman wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:55 pm
I found an 18mx18m net at the local Komeri. I dug six deep holes and placed a 3m bamboo post in each one and tamped down the earth around them. They feel pretty solid. Going to put the net up tomorrow. This covers half the area and will do the other half when the other net comes in. Will definitely need to thread some silver tape in there as I'm sure the hawk won't see the net.
We got substantially less hawks trapped in the net once we put the reflective tape in. I know they have good vision but perhaps when they are totally focused on your delicious looking chickens they don't notice the thin threads of the net until it is too late. That cucumber net lasts about 3 ~ 4 years in our environment and considering how cheap it is it works out as a cost effective solution.

Logman

Post by Logman »

This net I bought is substantially less sturdy than a cucumber net - and they are pretty flimsy. So I guess it won't last long.